BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Having owned Yamaha's since 1979, the biggest issues that I have experienced with new models is production related. I expect that this new model will have some issues probably minor but issues non the less. The engineering and design of various street and offroad models has been consistantly top notch, IMO. This new design, which has already been noted as "someone else tried this", will either dramatically change all 4 stroke machines or end up as a major failure.
From my years here on DRN, these new model production issues are not exclusive to Yamaha so I really don't expect a clean bill of health from owners over the next few months but time will tell. I found the animation of the engine on their web site to be particularly interesting. If all of the theory of centralized mass is realized, this new design with JBS piloting it in the SX series will be fun to watch. What will be really interesting is determining what exactly the design changes make in Stewart's style or will it be completely hidden by his obscene talent.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
It'll be interesting to see if all this "mass centralization" makes the front end too light and the resulting sketchy cornering.

At least it'll be a good bike to "poppa wheelie" on. :nod:

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
BSWIFT said:
If all of the theory of centralized mass is realized, this new design with JBS piloting it in the SX series will be fun to watch. What will be really interesting is determining what exactly the design changes make in Stewart's style or will it be completely hidden by his obscene talent.
One thing for sure we will see the bike spending lots of time either on the podium or on the ground.

:rotfl: I crack myself up. :rotfl:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
After day dreaming about me on that bike, I can only think good things about moving that mass back, more weight to back braking, less effect on cornering, bet you it will feel very different in the air and jumping. Exhaust tuning should be way better, and the location of the air box is finally as it should have been all along.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Wow. I bought the then new YZ-400F in 1998, and kept that bike for 7 years. I haven't had a dirt bike in 4 years now, but this one might be the one.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I would guess Dr. D had significantly more input.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A GWB to go with GWB's.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
The technology is pretty cool, be nice to see how they hold up/perform at the local tracks without the mods the factorys make for guys like Bubba. I'm happy to see the 2010 YZ125/250 in the line-up.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
redneckbillybob said:
i wonder how much different their 2 strokes are from thier 2009 models
does it really matter? be glad, o ye luddites, that there are still any 2-strokes available.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
XRpredator said:
does it really matter? be glad, o ye luddites, that there are still any 2-strokes available.
Yes it matters. Its just scary the "tools" who would line up and buy the 450f spinal injury machine. Me included! But, further dreaming, I would still rather have a 2 stroke laid out like this 450f!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
... I would still rather have a 2 stroke laid out like this 450f!
Talk about a wheelie monster! (BSwift wipes the drool off of his keyboard)

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
redneckbillybob said:
i wonder how much different their 2 strokes are from thier 2009 models

They are exactly the same. I was really hoping they would get something.
I read somewhere in yamaha's environmental mission statement, they wanted to develop high technology 2-strokes, and this was under the motorcycle category. So just maybe, they might still be putting money in to the 2t.

Top Bottom