Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-ABelgFdjA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-ABelgFdjA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ipiD6nm7Iy0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ipiD6nm7Iy0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mahAoNvH2pQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mahAoNvH2pQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I would have thought they'd be made from stone, go figure...

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Watched the factory film this morning before leaving for work. That's cool I liked that. Looked like both piston's operate together is that common for old 2 cylinder bikes?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
mideastrider said:
Looked like both piston's operate together is that common for old 2 cylinder bikes?

The pistons go up and down together, but they don't fire together (one is on the compression stroke and one is on the exhaust stroke). This gives very equally spaced power pulses, but is mechanically unbalanced, and could vibrate like a big single cylinder.

It was fairly common on the old vertical twins, but others were also 180* opposite (one piston up and one down).

If you want a weird engine config, there is something known as a 'twingle'. Two pistons going up and down together, and sharing a single combustion chamber. Mostly found on two strokes.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
a454elk said:
I would have thought they'd be made from stone, go figure...

Hey copper! What are you doing here? :ohmy: Did ya' take a wrong turn off of the 405 freeway or sumtin'??? :nener:

Very cool Rich. Only had time to watch one of them so far. Did you see that early Serdi machine in the first video? :laugh: The model that they show being built is a Triumph T110. I have one of those in the shop right now that we are restoring.

Dave. I built a 'twingle' once. It was a 500cc Triumph twin engine that I installed in a BSA B50MX frame. I called it Rodan son of Godzilla. Godzilla was a 650 that I rode at the time. Fun little motorcycle and it didn't vibrate as much as you would think. Got some funny looks when people heard it run. :rotfl:

Thanks for sharing Rich. :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I wonder if they would have leaked less if they would have used a torque wrench.

I was thinking the same thing.

I really like the part where he says "without the blue haze and broken fingernails" tires are mounted in two and a hof minutes, lol.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
2strokerfun said:
I love films like those. I wonder if they would have leaked less if they would have used a torque wrench.

When they stop leaking, that's how you know when they are out of oil. :whoa: :ohmy: :laugh:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Terry,
Do you have any old movies of you racing or bikes you have built? I enjoy these videos, cool stuff :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rickyd said:
Terry,
Do you have any old movies of you racing or bikes you have built? I enjoy these videos, cool stuff :cool:

No, sorry Ricky. There is an old video from the thumper nats that I'm in and one from ABC's Wide World of Sports from Ascot park but, I don't have a copy of either. I have a short clip in the On Any Sunday movie but you have to know who you are looking for to find me. I do have a whole file cabinet drawer full of 8x10 glossys though.

Foxforks.

Some of the equipment in my shop is almost that old. ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Ricky.

I was the pig farmer from Murrietta California. ;)

Ok, Just kidding. But I figured I had better say it before Elk got a chance to. :nener: :fft:

But seriously now.

At the Elsinore Grand Prix in the scene where the helicopter is following Malcolm Smith through the mountain road. I am one of the last riders he passes as the helicopter pans away.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
I am one of the last riders he passes as the helicopter pans away.

If you are going to get passed at least it was by the best. :cool:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ol'89r said:
I am one of the last riders he passes as the helicopter pans away.

Cool! I figured you might have been in the background for some of Bruce Brown's excellent flat track coverage.

Also, thanks for the excuse to dust off OAS again. It's been a few years since I last watched it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
Cool! I figured you might have been in the background for some of Bruce Brown's excellent flat track coverage.

Actually I was Dave. I was at most of those dirt track races shown in the move. Just didn't get on screen.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
dirt bike dave said:

Also, thanks for the excuse to dust off OAS again. It's been a few years since I last watched it.

THe movie has been in my dvd player for over a year :cool: :whoa:

Top Bottom