TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
I just took down my top end. Piston/rings were within tolerances. However, there was some scoring on the exhaust side. On closer inspection I found that just below the exhaust port some of the cylinder plating has worn or flaked off. A little over a Sq Inch. Looks like some more is going to come off too.

Looks like I'm going to have to ship the cylinder to the USA to be replated. Can anyone recommend a shop to do the job. Any idea what this is going to cost?

Thanks

Shaun

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Just a word of caution:
I had my 220 jug replated and during the pickling process the bore that the right hand subport actuating rod goes through lost its smooth finish. My KIPS valves now hang up slightly before and after actuation - meaning the valve(s) are a little slow to open and a little slow to close. It might take fifteen seconds of mid to slow throttle riding to close back up.
On my '02 model the right hand subport valve is actuated by a rod that has an o-ring on it to keep the exhaust gasses in the exhaust stream. The bore for that rod must be slick.
I noticed a bit of stickiness in the mechanism when I was reassembling it. I took it back apart and found the problem with the bore for that actuating rod. There did not seem to be any good way of repairing it so I put it back together and hoped it would wear in. So far it has not fixed itself.
I'll try to repair it on the next top end job. For now I can live with it.
I'd have the plater mask that area if they can.

Karl

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
TriniG - Just took apart mine as well and the walls look like hell. I was going to have it replated but decided to go with a 240 big bore kit. Figured since I have to pay the money and send her away might as well get something real special back. It's obviously a little more for this but I'm using Eric Gorr and he has USNICOM do his plating. He offers a 225 and 240 (LA Sleeve) kit for the KDX and it runs around 500 I think. http://ericgorr.com/services/services.html
Good luck. -Josh

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
Thanks guys. I priced a replacement cyllinder at Bike Bandit ($497) and at Ron Ayers ($410). Only problem is that Ronayers.com doesn't accept International Credit Cards. So lame. Great prices, but needs to think outta da box (American Borders). I even offered to wire transfer the money, but they don't do that either (not customer oriented I'd say). I think I'm going to put in new rings, clean up the Kips and sell my 220. I have a 2003 Yamaha WR250 lined up thats in great shape. I will keep my 93 KDX200 though.

StuckinJersey... just remember, you will have to rejet your carb due to the additional velocity of the gas-air mix demanded by your bigger bore. Pilot will have to go up, main to go down...I think. If you don't have a Fatty Pipe, you may have to consider getting one of those too. Good luck.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: Recommendations

I had my cylinder replated by USChrome. I'm not thrilled with it. Being curious about the quality of their work I took the cylinder to a local engine builder. He wanted to know who did the replate so he could be sure to never use their services!

I understand that cylinder base materials differ..that porosity of said materials gives you different results on a replate job.

But..my cylinder is chock-full-of pits. USChrome says, '..it happens.' They send out a much-overcopied letter with some spots on the page listing their criteria for what is and is not good enough when it comes to pitting. Their point of view is that holes are a good thing...lubricative and all.

OK. They know more about it than I do. But...I'd not send anything to them again.

There are other 'issssues' with that cylinder that have to do with it being replated. Not necessary to list them all here.

I'm just not happy with USChrome.

On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good about Langcourt.

Whatever that's worth! ;)

Good luck!!

I did get a serviceable cylinder (with complete KIPS) from Mr. Fredette for $350. If you're headed to cylinder replacement, he's a likely source.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
If you want a perfect job go to Millennium Technologies
[URL=http://www.mt-llc.com/index_home.shtml
They do a fabulous job.

Top Bottom