zip

Feb 19, 2005
Last summer I put a fmf knarly woods pipe and powercore 2 silencer on my 03 kdx 220. The only modification I made was removing the airbox snorkel and it worked perfectly. This winter I did a top end job had the cylinder replated and installed a new wiseco piston and rings. I did the break in and on my first ride out were I pressed the bike a bit and it ran SUPER hot to the point of discoloring the pipe a good 6 inches out from the exhaust port. should I be looking at changing the jetting or running a richer gas mixture currently 32:1. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. I live in Ct and it was only 40-50 degrees this weekedn. Any help would be appreciated.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
thats wierd about the pipe getting so hot. i have the platinum 2 pipe, it is nickel plated, hard to imagine it discoloring from heat. well, i have the wiseco piston also and i run 42/145 for jets,needle clip in the middle groove. i also run 32:1 87 oct pump gas. i would try going one clip richer on your needle. did you thoroughly bleed out all the air from the top of the piston?? no base or head or carb gasket leaks...right??

also...where did you get your cylinder replated, and how much? my next top end will require that.did you have the cylinder bored?

zip

Feb 19, 2005
No leaks, and we did bleed it out, but i can give the settings a try. I had the cylinder replated at a place called US chrome and steel of wisconsin. it cost just under 200 with shipping when all was said and done. If I can relocate site I will get it to you. thanks

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
if by discoloration you mean the pipe turned gold, it's supposed to do that. You say going to 32:1 would be richer, that would indicate you are running even more oil now, like 28:1. More gas, less oil is richer. If the bike is running too hot, I would be more inclined to think your jetting is wrong, or your carb has a problem. Definitely make sure your cooling system is purged of air, as explained in the manual.

Top Bottom