Pimpinpresto

Apr 23, 2006
Hey i ride an 03 CRF 230F. When the bike is cold and i try to ride it it will not downshift. The bike upshifts through all gears perfectly but will not downshift at all. After riding for about 15 minutes the transmission will start to downshift. After about 20-30 minutes the bike will downshift through all of the gears but it is pretty noisy and rough at times and other times it is perfect.When the bike is cold and i need to downshift i usually climb a big hill and cost down it with the clutch disengaged and repeatidly attempt to downshift. After about 5 tries the transmission will grind or clunk into a lower gear....usally, but somtimes it will just touch the lower gear, clunk and shift back into the current gear. I am very puzzled because it shifts up great. I have changed the oil twice and hav ran the Bike on a stand and tried to downshift when cold only getting the same results. HELP!!-Thnx

Last edited:

Pimpinpresto

Apr 23, 2006
No I havnt looked at it yet but i think the clutch disengages ok because when i push the bike it rolls freely. and if i pull in the clutch with the bike on a stand i can stop the tire easily with my foot.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
If the clutch, as stated, is not the problem....next in line is lubrication.

Here we go:

#1 Oil change frequency?

#2 Last time changed? Cleaned both screens?

#3 What type of oil are you using? and viscosity?

#4 How frequent have you been changing it with?(volume)/Is the oil volume correct when the probs occur?

Let the diagnosis continue...

Pimpinpresto

Apr 23, 2006
highmileage said:
If the clutch, as stated, is not the problem....next in line is lubrication.

Here we go:

#1 Oil Change like every 4 weekends of riding.

#2 Changed last week.

#3 Im using kawasaki 4 stroke oil (it says it is ok to use in hondas) 10w

#4 Yes acorrding to the honda manual and the dipstick the volume is correct.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Somehow this actually sounds like a secondary problem to the gearset. The gearset appears to be functional, however outside forces are acting upon it.

Initially it is not working until the motor is warm...when cold not getting adaquate lubrication...then adaquate lubraication and works...then gets finicky again when hot. You either have a clutch problem (grooved basket, etc) or you are having a lubrication problem.

With 10 weight oil...you really shouldn't be having a cold problem, however heat may very well play into problems as these little motors get firecracker hot and 10 wt really isn't enough protection.

Is the oil multigrade oil? 10W30/40???

I have always run multigrade full synthetic oil in my XR's/little CRF's and have beat the holy snot out of them. Shifting problems have never been an issue unless there was 1) a clutch issue or 2) a lubrication issue or 3) a WAG here but shifter position actually makes a difference.

You didn't mention whether you have ever cleaned the two sets of screens out??? Partially blocked screens could account for oil flow blockage. Was there any debris in the screens?

Top Bottom