250 Alloy Frame Vibration Reduction

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I have found what I feel is the cure for the bar vibes from the alloy frames from the 2 smoke 250's. Heres what ive tried so far and have ended up with.

05 YZ 250 std bars and clamps......bad bar vibration, at least compared to the RM 250

RG-3 top clamp renthal std size bars, no help at all, I was really surprised here. For a rubber mounted top clamp it was the worst tested.

Flex bars with Emig Racing solid mount top clamp, better than stock or RG-3 for sure, but vibration still an issue compared to the RM.

Flex bars with Emig Racing rubber mounted top clamp, no improvement, worse if anything :|

Flex bars with Pro Taper rubber mounted top clamp!!........bingo!! that did the trick, a huge improvement and right in line with the Rm250. All bar vibration just about gone compared to the other combos!!

Seems the Pro Taper top clamp is quite unique in its design. Lesson learned here is not all rubber mounted top clamps are doing their intended job. And some can create pathways to the bars that even increase vibration.

http://www.protaper.com/rubbermounttripleclamp.html

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I would have thought all rubber mounted top clamps would perform the same or atleast close to the same.
Did you try any bar inserts? Since ya didnt list any....I'll bet no.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
MXSparx said:
I would have thought all rubber mounted top clamps would perform the same or atleast close to the same.
Did you try any bar inserts? Since ya didnt list any....I'll bet no.

Glad you reminded me! Yes I tried the Fasco inserts, the improvement was to small to even talk about. The bar inserts and the RG-3 top clamp were returned.

Like you I thought the same. In testing my friends 05 CR 250 that comes std with a rubber mounted top clamp. In neutral and reved up, your hands feel as if they will dance right off the grips and the levers jangle quite a tune. He says hes used to it,, but theres no need to have to ride a bike like that. The Pro Taper clamp sets a new standard in vibration control. :cool:

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
Which elastomer color are you using?

I'm also curious if the Pro Taper bars can compete with the flex bars. Who makes flex bars?

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Hmm.. on the CR I run Pro Taper bars on the stock wubber-mounted clamps. It reduces the vibes to imperceptible levels on the racetrack. Revving it while sitting on the stand in neutral results in jangly levers and blurred vision though. :)

Burtonridr250

Dec 11, 2004
I will be throwing some silicone and Faast Co. bar insterts on my 05 YZ250 this thursday. I will give an update if I notice anything. :cool:

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I mounted an emig triple with the rubber mounts on my ATK with pro-taper bars, and it made my hands stop going numb...

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
pace said:
Revving it while sitting on the stand in neutral results in jangly levers and blurred vision though. :)

I used to have that same problem :nod: :)

Most of the rubber mounted clamps share the same design. They use small rubber cones that are compressed tightly up from the bottom and top of the clamp. The Emig design only uses 1 rubber cone at the top under the bar mount.

The RG -3 uses upper and lower rubber cones X 2 compared to std type clamps. One would think it woud do a superb job at damping bar vibration. Even with the softest elastomers, it vibrated like a solid mount top clamp. :ohmy:

The Pro Taper's elastomer is totally innovative. It's large flat surface area under the bar mounts disperse and dampen vibration much more effectively than small compressed rubber cones.

I'm not an engineer, but I think the key word here is disperse. Or re-direct the vibration away from the handle bars. This is where I feel the rubber cones come up short in their design. They dampen, but that depends on thier density and how much they are compressed. But disperse? I don't think so, they seem to provide a smaller platform to direct vibration straight up through the bar mounts.

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I rode biglou's 05 YZ 250 and couldn't believe the vibration! A nice hand and foot massage for sure. I thought my feet were gonna vibrate right off the pegs. I thought maybe I was crazy - glad to read this thread. ;)

BTW I thought maybe a little of the vibration was due to the new frame, but I rode a 05 YZ 125 right after and no vibration that I noticed. None on my YZ 250F either.

B

biglou

LOL, you are crazy... :nener:

I guess I'm a big ol' human damper, cuz I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and that's coming off 3 yrs on 4strokes (yz426 and 450).

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Nikki, Bruce told me you hated the way the new YZ 250 vibrated.

Lou, you shouldn't drink when you and ride man........ :) ......jk

NWetRider

Sep 24, 2004
Any idea how the pro-taper copy rocky mountain sells works? I think it's a tusk and it's $99. I want to move my bars forward anyway so I am considering them.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Steve I don't notice anything odd but this is coming from a guy who had solid mounted triple clamps on an 02 CR250. I'm really surprised with the RG3 though, I would think that would be the best.

Erik

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Erik no doubt that CR had you conditioned. :)

If you were to ride the RM for comparison, besides the sound of the engine, you cant tell its running. ;)

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
Big pansys I rode my 97 cr250 for years with steel bars and hard rubber grips! :fft:

If you wanted no vibration buy a lincoln :)

Besides half the fun of a dirt bike is vibration :coocoo:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
So the new alloy framed YZ's vibe considerably more than the old steel frames?

I've never noticed any bad vibration on my 02 but I've always had Pro-Taper Triple clamps (non rubber) and Pro-Taper bars.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Nikki the 125 don't seem to vibrate like the 250. I know on the red bikes the 250 is much worse.
I have RG3 top clamp, Twinwall Renthal, Inserts and still vibration. It was not until I filled the frame with insulation foam that it stopped. The hollow spars on the aluminum frames seem to be the culprit.

Wilky

Oct 21, 2004
I have an 04 CR250 and when I first got it I thought it vibrated a little more than my liking, but I guess I have gotten use to it.

Please elaborate on filling your CR frame with foam. What lead up to that decision? Also how did you do it?

Scott

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Its funny Steve I don't notice it all. Eventually when i get bored, I will throw on triple clamps. Mostly rubber mounted ones. I will definetly keep an eye on **** for 06 YZ clamps.

Erik

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
Philip said:
Nikki the 125 don't seem to vibrate like the 250. I know on the red bikes the 250 is much worse.
I have RG3 top clamp, Twinwall Renthal, Inserts and still vibration. It was not until I filled the frame with insulation foam that it stopped. The hollow spars on the aluminum frames seem to be the culprit.

I also have RG3's. I had Twinwalls which vibrated more than Pro Tapers.

I'm also curious as to how you filled the frame with foam. Is it the 2 part mix (A & B)?

Tracy

Top Bottom