250 two stroke to a 450 four stroke

acdavis1

Mar 16, 2005
250 two stroke to a 450 four stroke????

I am looking to get rid of my 93 yz 250 and get into a crf 450 or yzf 450. I am 6' tall and 190 lbs, 22 yrs old, and a semi-aggressive rider. I do mostly sand dune riding and trail riding. I love to go as fast as possible and race anyone that is looking for a challenge. I love the beefy aluminum frame and 5-speed tranny on the hondas, and the only gripe I have against the yamahas are the 4-speed tranny and the paint on the frame always wearing off. I definitely want the torque of the 4 stroke and get rid of the 2 smoke. Unfortunately, all my friends ride quads and I can't test drive the two brands. I would appreciate some personal opinions on the two bikes. I don't think that I would like to go to the wr or crf450x. Thanks.

Last edited:

acdavis1

Mar 16, 2005
no opinions???

Everyone is looking at the post, but no suggestions???? I have read about problems with the crf valves, do you all see these problems? What about the yamahas, any mechanical problems experienced?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Id get even an erly yz400, Rich said they are almost as reliable as an xr if looked after. They are so much more fun to ride than an old yz250!!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Well AC I gotta tell you that I have spent a lot of time on the CRF450 and have owned my fair share of 250MXers.. The CRF is an AWESOME bike with AWESOME handling BUT (and dont get me wrong on this, I LOVE the bike!!) - for dune riding there is NOTHING on this planet like a KX500!! I have beenriding a one now for a few years and it has proven VERY reliable, FAST, a GREAT woods bike when flywheel weighted, FAST, has ALL the motor you can imagine for climbing ANY of those power robbing hills at silver lake, FAST, lift the front end up anytime anywhere - right from an idle in 5th gear and BOOM up she goes, FAST, and its CHEAP to run - I got over 8k miles out of a piston and it still looked good - did a topend for under 150, plus did I tell you it is FAST!!!!!!!!!
Not sure about the YZF but I have been told by more then one person that the 4 speed just doesnt work for trail usage.. On the other hand, I wonder if a Revloc would help with this...
Anyway, your best bet as always is find someone who has each of the bikes and try them before you buy them..
I certainly agree with you about the quads, their fun but bikes get in your blood!!!
Woodsy

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
for dune riding there is NOTHING on this planet like a KX500!!
WRONG! :p

Service Honda CR500AF.
16665glamisaj2.jpg

http://servicehonda.com

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
woodsy said:
. . . Not sure about the YZF but I have been told by more then one person that the 4 speed just doesnt work for trail usage.. On the other hand, I wonder if a Revloc would help with this...
I beg to differ. I ride with a guy with a YZ450F, and with a little gearing change and a flywheel weight, he has no problems on the trails. The stuff we ride is pretty tight, but we also get out and boogie down the fire roads. And I know once he gets going down the road he can ride a wheelie on the sucker for 3 miles. It also does quite well out on the dunes.

Any bike will do anything with the right mods. Plus, if you take care of the bike, maintaining it properly, there shouldn't be any untoward wear issues.

02crf450

Jun 28, 2003
I am getting a 500 af. I currently have a crf 450.The yamaha is getting very dated.It is not even close to the honda in any of the shootouts. I have rode the crap out of my 450 in the dunes for three years now,still on the original top end.But the truth is there is nothing like a ported 500af in the dunes.

Top Bottom