250 two stroke too much for me to handle???

baller30

Nov 24, 2009
Ok so im new to the forum. I joined cause with my cars all the people who really know what there talking about are on forums so i figured same probably goes for here.
Im 18 and finally planning on switching over to the dark side of dirtbikes. I've been riding quads since i was 7 and have had everything from a old 250r to a yfz 450 that i just sold, so i know how to handle myself with a clutch and a powerful punch. Would a yz250 be too much for me to handle. Im 6 foot tall and about 200 lbs but ill be up to 215 by the end of winter. Ive ridden a dirtbike two times before both be crf250r obviously not a 2 stroke but they still have a little grunt to 'em. So give me your honest opinions.
p.s- i need to be able to keep up with my friends yz450f ;)

Thanks,
Joe

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
dxb 08 450 said:
If money isn't an issue go with a 450 4 stroke.

Don't get a thumper. You will just end up doing more work and paying more for it.

There is not a more fun/easier bike to own than a yz250. Tons of waspy power, easy to work on, inexpensive to maintain, and just a solid bike. I use mine from tight single track that you live in first gear in, to straight-up motocross and this bike has been a brilliant performer in everything I've put it up against. I consistantly throttle pass 450F's, mostly from just knowing how to ride. I've had a buddy of mine outrun 450F's on his completely stock kdx200 (which is incredibly tame), it's all just about knowing how to ride and keeping your speed up through turns so that you're not always saying you need more power so you can try to catch people in the straight-aways. I'm 6'3'' and 168 lbs., and the yz250 has been a more perfect bike for me than anything else I've saddled up on.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
ANY dirt bike can be bad-to-the-bone.
Respect.... self discipline... common sense. They're tougher then we are, always.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
They're tougher then we are, always.
Hehe, yeah. My bike can take much more that i do, whatever how aggressive i ride it.
Using it correctly, it never break.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I believe it is 20% bike and 80% rider from what I have seen. Anyhow, if you have a good rider on a small bike they can be quite a bit faster than a poor rider on a fast bike. I have spoken with people who have 4 strokes and they have no problems or expenses and I have spoken with people with 2 strokes that have the same. One person I rode with last week has a YZ450F and a KX250 and he likes the KX better, it is more fun to ride. The YZ was parked most all day, of course we were riding trails too.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Not ALL thumpers are high maintenance...the XR is an excellent example, but that may not provide the punch you are looking for. I know a guy with a 530 KTM "thumper" with 115 hours. All he has done is shim the valves twice. Another guy has over 200 hours on his 450 KTM with nothing but shims. It has alot to do with how you ride.

I agree with the 20% bike 80% rider statement. There are some guys on a 125 that could blow by most of us.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
jb_dallas said:
Not ALL thumpers are high maintenance...the XR is an excellent example, but that may not provide the punch you are looking for. I know a guy with a 530 KTM "thumper" with 115 hours. All he has done is shim the valves twice. Another guy has over 200 hours on his 450 KTM with nothing but shims. It has alot to do with how you ride.

I agree with the 20% bike 80% rider statement. There are some guys on a 125 that could blow by most of us.

True, the XR will run forever. When I think of modern thumpers, I just immediately think of the race bikes. I guess that's a hard habit to break.

Top Bottom