m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
hey, i have a 1999 cr250r. i just put a brand new clutch in the bike. i bought a new clutch cable. now when i adjust i want it so when the bike is running and in first gear, when i rev it up it does not move. correct? i dont mean move like, take off just edge foward a little bit. or, do i want it so it is totally disengaged. im guessing dissengaged. thats how i had it set but, i like to have fingers on the bars when im riding, so id have to take my whole hand and, pull the clutch in. i cant figure out how to get it so i have space to keep my fingers on the bars and, having it totally disengage. i have to pull it very close the the bars. in ordered for it, not lerch forward when in first gear revving it up. and, totally disengage. how do you guys have your clutch set. i also have play in my lever, the correct amount. how do you guys have your clutch set up. i was thinking of cutting part of the lever so i could keep two fingers on the bars and, two fingers on the clutch.

-mike.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
My '97KX250 pretty much requires 3-fingers to pull and generally I use all four and when adjusted properly (1/8") from close it still has to be pulled virtually all the way back to the bar and even at that you can feel the plates drag... not so much when warm and the oil thins, but all the way back to the bar none the less. Funny thing, my sons '05YZ250 when adjusted right doesn't engage until 1/2 -2/3 the way out and better yet I can use one finger. Must be a technology thing.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Is the basket or inner hub notched? On my bike I run about a quarter inch of lever play and the clutch disengages before the lever hits my other fingers. This is also the bikes first season. On my last bike, I ran an eighth inch or so of play and the thing dragged pretty bad with the lever to the bars. The guy I sold it to put new plates in and filed the basket smooth and its much better. It had a new cable on it and the pull was pretty normal for a late model bike. I would take a close look at the basket/hub. Just keep in mind that most bikes clutches drag some, if you can sit with it running in gear and it doesn't creep forward it's probly fine. Revving will cause most bikes to creep a bit.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
the baskets and plates are brand new. the inner hub was fine. i put a brand new cable on it. i also didnt know that while in gear while revving it up most bike will tent to lerch forward. thats for the info.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
The new plates need to break in. It'll feel better once the "fuzzies" are knocked off the friction plates.

Go ride it. You'll probably want to readjust the cable after a ride or 2.

Rotor

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom