ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
OK, I am new to riding and have no experience working on a bike. This question may be elementary to most, but your sincere input is appreciated.

05 yz 250, when I pull the clutch lever to disengage the clutch to put the bike into gear from neutral, the bike is sitting still at this time, it kinda slams/jerks into 1st gear like the clutch isn't fully disengaged.
Can the clutch be adjusted on this bike and if so, can someone please give me some basic instructions on the process.
Thanks
rtb

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I wouldn't go as far as saying it is normal but it is certainly common and if you find a solution, let us all know!

My son and nephew both have YZ 250s and I ride a YZ125. My nephew's bike has only a slight drag on the clutch, not hardly noticable. My clutch drags enough that I have to find neutral to start. My son's clutch drags so bad that you can't push the bike, engine off, by simply holding the clutch in, the rear wheel will drag.

There doesn't seem to be any adjustment of the cable that will make any difference. Others in this forum have said that they replaced their clutch and still had the problem. I keep hoping that someone who really knows will tell what the secret is. Warped clutch discs? Something in the clutch basket?

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
I have an 05 yz and I know what you mean. I adjusted the cable the other day and it didnt seem to do much for it. It wont be as bad once your bike is warmed up. At least thats been my expierence.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
My son's clutch drags so bad that you can't push the bike, engine off, by simply holding the clutch in, the rear wheel will drag.

that sounds like a problem to me. i can push as well as start my yz250 by pulling in the clutch.

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
my 03 yz250f has the same problem, i cnat start it up in gear unless its really warm.

B

biglou

I posted the long version of why it's "normal" some time ago, but I can't remember which thread. Short version is, cold (viscous) gear oil will drag. Plates compressed = somewhat stuck together. Once warmed up and fully lubricated, it should be less. FWIW, I can start mine in gear once warm, but prior to that it won't, and it won't roll in gear with clutch pulled and engine not running, either. It also jumps when going into gear after first starting. Pretty much every bike I've ever owned has done this. And yes, my clutch is adjusted properly.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Anyone notice a difference running synthetic oil?

Rod
The only oil that I've noticed helping any is Royal Purple from NAPA, but it's like $9.00 a quart so I just use the cheap stuff and get 10w30. :(

Top Bottom