2stroke Engine problem....Need Help!

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
I posted this in the Euro section but I thought it would be ok to post here as well and hopefully get some additional feedback on the 2stroke engine problem from experienced folks.

So I was out riding this last weekend (93' Husky WXE360) up through the mountain trails (temp 65F) and got about 20 miles in before I headed back to camp and took a break for 10mins.
Well, when I went back out I got about 5 miles up into this trail when my engine died and rear wheel locked. I pulled in the clutch and she rolled again so I then tried to pop it....but w/ no sucess. Im thinkin...that was weird(no, I didnt run out of gas). Two kicks and she's alive and well. So,I head up the trail some more and only get 1/2mi before it does it again. I managed to turn back and get most of the way back to camp (It finally wouldnt kick over) with the same thing occuring 4 more times. .
It would run strong for about 1/4mi and then I would begin to hear the engine bog progressively stronger until the engine died and the rear wheel locked....then I would pull in clutch to get free rotation again.
A couple times I was able to pop it but only at good down hill pace.

What do you think is going on here?
My first thought was a fouled carb jet but I wouldnt see why the rear would lock up like that.

I would love to get this one behind me so all your help is appreciated fellas. Thanks :ugg:

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Oh No!

Oh no! She's breaking up! I can see an engine rebuild in the future..... Complete rebuild ASAP! Don't keep running her that way because really bad things are happining in her enternals..... :whiner:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
I have to agree with Flyboy....the rear wheel locking up is very strange....I wouldn't ride that again until I pulled the motor down some and had a good look inside.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
The 360s would sometimes develop cyl base gasket leaks and seize up. But then again it could just be something simple like the fuel petcock screen getting plugged up or the gas tank vent not working or someting simple like that.I know a kid that greased his steering bearings and the his bike was cutting out after a few minutes riding . His problem was that he got grease in the middle of the triple clamp stem post and the gas tank breather hose wouldnt allow air into the tank . I saw some current model street motorcycles where they have a rollover valve in the tank system . if it goes bad the fuel tank implodes and caves itself in from the vacuum of the elect fuel pump.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
seized definately. Be thankful it hasn't completely melted solid.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
YES YOU ARE SIEZING YOUR MOTOR this can be caused by sevaral things but you must do a total teardown now and inspect that pup for damage. however when you are done with your new motor dont run it with out checking your plug to make sure your mixture is ok.as far as you got i wonder if you mixed oil in your gas somthing else to think about before you break it in.make sure you replace all of your seals and gaskets,sounds like your going to do all your bearings etc.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Seizing

If your rear wheel is locking it is definitely seizing and could get even worse if you continue to ride it. At the very least you've got piston and ring problems. Get it looked at immediately!

bigcr

May 16, 2000
It's either siezeing or the crank is going. My snowmobile did something similar and it was the crank that went south.

Top Bottom