JaredMackall

May 15, 2004
Alright, I've got some questions about some aftermarket goodies for the KDX. Which handguards do you think are the best? I was partial to Cycra, but have been hearing about some product failures over on ThumperTalk. Basically, I'm considering either Cycra (if there is no problem with them), Moose/Enduro Engineering, or FRP handguards. My second question is about frame guards. Do I really need them? I've heard people say they will prevent scratches on the steel frame which will lead to rust. Is this true or bogus? Third and final question: Does anybody make a casesaver for the KDX? I haven't been able to find a manufacturer and would like to be able to add this on if it is necessary. Thanks!

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
I use the Tusk handguards on mine. They were pretty cheap, and held up very well in a big impact that broke a rib. I never used any other brand though, so take that for what it's worth. I never understood the frame guard thing, but I've been riding bikes since '73, so I guess I'm old school. Yeah, my boots wear the paint off the bike in spots, but that same action keeps the rust from forming too, so I guess there must be some other reason for them besides making somebody some money. I'm not real sure what a casesaver is, my sportbikes had aftermarket shields that followed the side cases pretty closely to keep them from grinding through in a crash, but they limited cornering clearance a little. The only thing I've seen similar was a water pump cover that bolted onto the water pump. I thought that was pretty stupid. Seems like you're increasing the likelihood of WP contact by making the area bigger. I'd rather have a shield that spans across the WP but doesn't touch it. If you mean a skid plate for underneath, Utah sport cycle makes a good one, I've heard they make it for the big names too, and they just put their name on it and charge more.

Mike.

ScottZJ

Aug 17, 2004
Well I have to say that I love my Acerbis hand guards. They are the strongest I have seen on the market. They have the alum bar with molded plastic around it. The plastic alone is strong enough to withstand most any hit.
As far as the frame guards, I would get them, they arent much money, easy to install(10 mins) and will protect your investment for years to come. I also have 11 three wheelers and I have seen the frames rubbed off and start to rust, so yes this would and could happen. I have attached a few pics of my frame guards and hand guards............peace

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
I have the same Acerbis hand guards as ScottZJ. Over a year with the same grips, clutch, and brake handle. Had a head on with a Jeep and took a handle bar to my side. Without them I think the gouge would have been worst.
I have no frame guards on my bike... some PJ1 paint twice a year.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Maybe I'm just slow and cautious in my old age, but I don't use any of it. I'm also a light weight freak. I bought my bike used with Bark Busters on it. One of the first things I did was to take them off. If you're from Arizona the last thing you need to worry about is rust. My '95 has a few dings on the bottom that are through the paint (ok, more than a few), but zero rust. In Idaho it's dry too.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Don't waste your time with anything but EE barkbusters. All the others will move even with the slightest fall over. I'd say a skid plate is essential and maybe even rear disc guard. Get all the guards you can.........they will save you $$ in long run.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Braahp said:
Don't waste your time with anything but EE barkbusters. All the others will move even with the slightest fall over. I'd say a skid plate is essential and maybe even rear disc guard. Get all the guards you can.........they will save you $$ in long run.

Uh, that's just wrong. I'm sure EE make a good product, but it's not the only game in town.

Mike.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I'll chime in...
I like the Moose handguards. They are tough...withstood many a crash. Plus, you can add the plastic covers for them for like $20. Just replace if they break (which they have yet to even think about). I think the acerbis are molded in one piece aren't they?
Skid plate - personally, I don't run one but I know I should. It's on the list.
Frame guards - no experience here. My frame is rubbed out in a couple of places, but it certainly isn't rusting.

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
Moose uses the screw to rubber/nut handle bar fastener system: Acerbis uses an expanding knurled alumium handle bar fastener system and has a protruding 'key' which fits into a 'keyway' on the handgrip. The Acebis IMO looks to have more resistance to rotating the guard during a hard get off.

moabdaze

Aug 12, 2004
I have run a set of Acerbis frame guards for years. Lightweight plastic, inexpensive and your frame always looks great. I don't think you need to worry about rust if you don't run them, but if you do your ride will look better. Just my 2 cents worth.

JaredMackall

May 15, 2004
Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like I will be going with EE handguards. I had Acerbis Pro Rally handguards on my Honda CRF250X, but they rotated nearly everytime I took a spill. I will be getting some frame guards also. However, nobody has answered my question about a case saver. I have one on my 250X in front of the CS sprocket to protect the engine case should the chain snap. Once again, thanks a bunch.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I have a case saver on mine so I know someone makes them, but it was on there when I bought it (used) & I don't know where to buy one. Check with Dennis Kirk Or Rocky Mountain, maybe?

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I found it pretty easy and fun to make my own! Just bend a piece of aluminum or steel around. Tap some threads in the ends of the bars or use a plug and u-bolt the other end. Real cheap!! $10 max!!!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'm running Enduro Engineering handguards, l like em alright. My only beef was that neither bar end fit in my bars. I've got a set of 7/8" Renthals, the aluminum mounts just rattled around in there even when tightend completly, and the rubber hose / flange nut wouldn't fit inside. I ended up using the aluminum mounts and a wrap of thin rubber to get a tight fit. They are tough handguards, I think I'd be killed before those will slip on the bar.

I just got a Utah Sport Cycles skid plate. Looks tough, haven't tested it yet. Exact same model as the Moose.

No frame savers here. Yes your boots wear off the paint. Yes the bare metal will rust. But it's just surface flash and will in no way structurally affect your frame. Well, not within 30 years probably. Plus every time you ride your boots will polish it back up. I plan on making some carbon fiber guards for my bike.

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
I don't get the frameguard thing. If you ride enough to wear the paint off, doesn't that obligate you to keep riding enough to keep the rust off? Even if you don't so what?

Maybe I'm just too used to saltwater and corrosion...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom