m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'7" 170 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? everything trails and pits.
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes about 2 years
5) Do you think you will race ? id like to try eventually
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? honda not sure 4 or 2
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? all brands.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 3300.00
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 20
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion ive owned a 99 cr250r for the past 2 years until it blew up.
i have 3300.00 dollars to spend. my 99 cr250 blew up on me a while ago. like i said before i will ride everything, i like hilly technical trails and sand pits. im sort of steering towards trying a four stroke. im unsure if a crf250 will have the grunt and im afraid of the 450 overheating in trails and all the cost that go along with the four strokes. im also not sure what to look out for when buying a four stroke. also, how often do you have to rebuild a top end on a four stroke? 40-50 hours? thanks for any and all help.

-mike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
My 250f has yet to let me down while climbing. It's not scary fast but it definately isn't slow. It torques like 250 2t without the pipiness. I did my top end at about 60 hrs. It was worn, so maybe 50 hrs in the woods?

11brianm

Feb 13, 2009
u should definately check out a used 2006 yz250f(4 stroke), i have this bike and it's nasty! it's a 5 valve, with a zinc plated aluminum cylinder,aluminum frame, 5 speed, handles nicely, and it redlines at 13,500 rpm! i tacked this bike out at 85mph(stock)! i have had the bike for half a year now and it has over 100 hours of riding hard, and it still has good compression, and doesn't smoke at all, althought it does need valve adjustment every month or so to maintain the power and performance. its not hard to do, and no special tools. this bike is within ur spending limit used. i got mine for 3 grand. brand new around six grand. it also has great accelleration in the low, and high range, and could most definately keep up with a 250 2 stroke!

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Quote 11Brianm
and could most definately keep up with a 250 2 stroke!

That would depend alot on the condtions/type of riding and how good the riders are.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
yea, id be sticking with hondas. the thing that im worried about is sometimes in the trails ill come around a corner and there will be a huge hill i need to to climb and be able to do it for 5-10mph. i rode a 250f it was a husky. i only rode it for about 5 minutes and i didnt really get to see what it was all about.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I did a high compression piston when I rebuilt it and that added quite a bit of boost to the low end. When it comes to climbing, if a 250 2t will do it, so will a 250f. The 250f just doesn't have the peak high rpm power of a smoker. People usually see about the same piston life with either bike. Just keep in mind valvetrain maintenance. This varies greatly from bike to bike, rider to rider. Between 60 and 200 hours usually. Some people will stretch it out too far and it costs huge money to rapair a catastrophy in the engine.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
thank you very much JOE. i was watching videos of the crf250r's the 05 models. i have a feeling i would be hitting the rev limiter climbing my hills and what not.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom