350F - Who will build the first...???

Combat767

It's all about the dirt..
Nov 20, 2001
If what I have read is correct, it appears the FIM will make the premier class a 250F - 350F class. Banking on the fact that riders are always looking for an edge, which manufacturer will bring a 350F to market first? The rule seems destined to coerce someone into building the new bike. What is everyones opinion on who and what year we might see a 350F? :think: :think: :think:

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
350's/400's are great- so ill say probly no one
honda ,and yam already made them in the past--- others have too but -i dont see them getting made for motocross

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
jason33 said:
honda ,and yam already made them in the past--- others have too but -i dont see them getting made for motocross
who made them? wha?

Honda did make an XR350 for a couple years, but I don't recall Yamaha making a 4-stroke 350. Show me a picture.

Rice#67

Dec 17, 2007
jason33 said:

The reason why they are going to be made for motocross is because the 450's are actually slower than 250f's because they are too powerful for most riders. FIM is pushing towards running a 350 class and 450's are most likely going to be pushed into the open class. It's happening in Europe(the FIM) and AMA should be soon to follow.

I believe Kawi or Suzuki will come out with one first so they can get ahead of the market.

Combat767

Nov 20, 2001
Rice#67 - The YZ144 is actually a fun and quite fast bike to ride. Stock I had to add a couple teeth to the rear sprocket to get up some steep hills without the motor losing steam. This worked well, but I was shifting quite a bit. After putting in the 144 I was able to put on a sprocket with one less tooth and the bike continued to pull great. I run a stock pipe with V-Force reeds and mix 32:1 with Honda HP2 and a 50:50 mix of 93 octane and race fuel.

The one thing to watch out for is piston life. I know with engine work and increased performance you will have to replace the piston more often. The exhaust port bridge is pretty thin on my cylinder so the piston wants to start to groove and you'll hear a high pitch squeal. Eric is very good about working with you on this though, so mention you want longer life on the piston and he can leave the exhaust port on the thicker side when porting.

I love the bike, even though I haven't ridden much in the past couple years, it's a fun machine to ride. I know my friends love the bike even coming off 450's. Their is something pretty great about a fast lightweight bike! Let me know if you have any other questions.

350F's
Yamaha - came out with 400
KTM - has so many different engine sizes
Honda - came out with the 150F

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the 3 above was the first to come to market with a 350F. If I was a betting man... I'd have to agree with "flynbryan" and say KTM will probably be first. They appear to target that nitch market, and I'm sure a 350cc engine would make a great woods bike. They came out with a stock 144 fairly quick, so they can probably pull out a 350 the fastest. It may not be the best, but I'd say they could be to market the quickest. Honda or Yamaha would probably be second as they seem to design from the ground up so odds are they may not be first, but they may be better.

Last edited:

Combat767

Nov 20, 2001
I actually didn't have to do any jetting changes. I believe it is stock jetting with the afore mentioned fuel mixture. It runs a touch on the rich side, but I feel better when revving the motor so much.

Haven't had any problems with the crank or any part of the motor for that matter.

Not a ton of low end, but it comes on pretty quick and pulls all the way through to the top.

I couldn't tell you for sure if it would be competitive against a 250F. IMO though... alot depends on the track and the rider. I'd say a tight track would favor a 250F with more low end to pull out of the corners. A wide open track with loam or ruts would be a little more even of track for both bikes. If you were reasonably light in weight, you could probably be competitive on a 144 against a 250F. I'm 38 and weigh in at around 180 lbs., so I'm to big for the bike. I just love running a bike wide open yet still be able to keep it under control if it gets away from me. Tough to do on a 250 2T and 450 4T. I'm not out to win, but to have fun and see how many 450's I can catch and pass in a moto. A 144 ridden by a 155 lb. rider or less should be fairly competitive against 250Fs. It'll be interesting to see how the factory stock KTM 144's do this year.

I'd sure like to see a 350 4T with fuel injection and electric start. As much as I wreck the ole kickstarter would wear me out faster than all the riding!! LOL!!

ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
Man my uncle is the same way about kickstarting man. Or atleast who use to be, he got a ktm 250f that has electric start and he takes it to its advantage now that we ride more motocross.

Like all you others are saying it wouldnt suprise me one bit to see a 350f from ktm.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
Funny. If they are made, then folks will be looking on how to make more power out of them because they will feel its not enough power. I think 350 is good for trail riding, but for MX i like my 450 and always looking for more mid and top.

As for 250F having faster lap times, thats true. I have several friends that have both 250 and 450's and their lap times on the 250's are faster by 1-1.5 seconds per lap.

Spokes574

Top Bottom