joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
OK here's my idea!
I got this 36 mm carb from my old KTM 200. Mines a 35, (2001 KDX 200)that you can send out to get punched out to a 36.
The intake boot is too small to use the 36 on mine.
I've taken some rough measurements on the 2002's and man it looks like a 125 boot will fit, but I don't want to spend the bucks to order on in that'll end up sitting on the self.The reed block numbers for a 250 and a 125 and a 200 are different, (that's not surprising) if anyone knows someone that has a 125 or a 250 that can take a close look and maybe measurements, Man, I sure be happy.
The idea I have is that most of the Hare Scrambles I did last year I could use a lot of top end and run it like a 125. The enduro were mostly bottom and mid courses. The Mx were top end. I get a revver pipe, whip on the 36, differnet reeds while I have the boot off, boost my gearing to front to 13 and abuse the clutch and scream to first place. Next race is a low end grunt track or course, I drop my low end pipe, (I have one, a dyno port set up) my power reeds, drop the front to a 12 and grunt my way to first again! Seems like a do able thing!! Any help on this plan or ideas would surely help!!
Thanks !!
Joe
2001 KDX 200
2001 TTR 125 Boy "A"'s
1996 XR 80 Boy "B"'s

you gotta always push the envelope

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
Joe,
The large body PWK carbs will bolt right up on your bike. You will need to get a bigger clamp for the reed cage side of the carb and use the cap off of your stock carb but it will fit rigt in. I have run a 39mm PWK carb on my bike and it was tight fit especially on top but it will work.--Dan

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Stuffed it in!

Thanks Dan! I read your posting and while I had the bike apart to repaint the frame, I stuffed the 36 in. Your right it was a tight fit, man I cann't see a 39 fitting in.
I threw some jets in as a start, when I get it all back together i check it out.
What kind of power did you notice. A big gain?? Did you run your stock pipe?? A rever??
Now I wish it was spring so I can really test it out!! Although it's been nice here in Northeastern Pa. Of course I diaassembled my scoot in mid Nov to check everything over.:ugg: :(
Thanks for the info
Joe

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
large and small PWKs

Get your original carb bored to a 36..just change the jetting to get from 'MX' to 'Enduro'.

A CEK needle (and associated jetting for temp/altitude)=MX screamer

A BEL needle (ditto)=Enduro bike

That'll save changing carbs, reeds, etc.

Well..unless you LIKE doing all that stuff!!:)

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
What CC said.

Your stock 35mm small body PWK is closer to 36mm than 35mm. For the difference you'll notice swapping carbs back and forth I'd try a simple needle changes first. You'll easily see the difference in power delivery.

Dan's 39mm carb and your 36mm carb are physically the same size. Both are large body PWKs. The difference is in the bore.

David

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Wow all this info.. Great!!

Thanks for all the help. I'll try to swap out the needle!!
The reason I thought about swapping carbs is that I bought it when I had my KTM 200 and 125. I thought I throw it on the 125. But when the boys got into racing I sold all of them and pick up the line up of scoots we have now. So that left me with a nice carb sitting on the shelf!! Being the constant tinker and the last of the, "I know it's running great, but if I change..... guy I thought, hey why not stuff it on and see what happens!
I'll order those needles and give both carbs a testing and see what the scoop is. Next project is finding a set of RMX forks to slip on!!
Thanks again, this forum is perfect for all of us tinkers!!
Joe :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom