motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
just to put this in perspective, for $4000 you can buy a top end kit for your average two cylinder, two stroke snowmobile, that will boost output to over 230 HP. :yikes:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
metal457 said:
I ride a 03 crf 450 that's pretty much stock, except jd jet kit, an fmf header and muffler that cost me just under 300 bucks. I only bought it cause the stock header got smashed. It's hard to understand that when I roll up to the gate with the other junior rider's, and even seeing some of the beginner's with 800 dollar carbon fiber, and titanium garb, makes me laugh a little. When 800 dollars would go a long way in some very good suspension work. I rode my buddies MB-1 250f and it felt like a caddy to compared to my bike.

Ther'll always be trendy rich kids in any popular sport.
But they lose track of why people participate in the first place.
To enjoy and have fun. :aj:
A lot of people just seem to have something to prove by having the hottest/newest/most popular/lightest/fastest ride out there, and then pimping it out to within an inch of its life.
And if you can afford it, and you LIKE doing it more power to ya!
Me, i was perfectly happy with my old xl500r until i took a spin on VD's WR and found out that some bikes do indeed have BRAKES! LOL!
Thought about a 450f, but when the salesguy said about doing the topend once or twice a year it sorta scared me off.
Looked at my 2nd choice (650r) and he said "top end? mebbe every 24 to 36?"
Months?
"no, 24 to 36 thousand miles"
Bout triped on the carpet pulling the checkbook out. :laugh:
Thats what im after. Going out and haveing fun/ puttin it away/ change oil every month/ valve adj. every year/ yadda yadda.
No, its not "cool".
No, its not "popular".
Fun? Yea, thats for sure!!
I even take it around the local track oncst in a while.
So many kids get into this sport nowadays thinking all it is is about going around a motoX track with a $10,000 bike.
And theres nothing wrong with it, but thats like just getting a tiny slice of pie.
Theres soooo much more to dirtbiking, but most kids are only into the popular part.

We used to ride trails from sunup to sundown, on bikes that kids today would be embarresed to even sit on.
But we had so much FUN!
I love remembering those great rides back in the Pennsylvainia woods.

And, yea, we even took a lap around the local MX track............once in a while....... :laugh:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Amen brother! Just ride! I love my XR, there's nothing like a 3rd gear powerslide around a corner on a gravel road to make you smile. Climbing a hill without actually really giving it any more throttle is fun too.

It should be all about the fun. The AMA has muddled things up with the four stroke rules. When it becomes more about business, money, and politics (and it has), then it hurts the sport. Some of the racer's dads out there need to be reminded about the "fun" part again.

Regarding used two strokes, in this regard, bikes for play riders have gotten cheaper, and they didn't become lesser bikes...the public's perception just changed.

Last edited:

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
How could you justify a head at $4100?

Personally, if I had that kind of money just laying around to blow, I'd invest it in $4100 worth of riding lessons. It'd make me a hell of a lot faster than any part could.

I mean seriously, $4100?? You could get a pretty nice set of heads for a racecar for that price.

Top Bottom