'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
My son rides a KX65 on MX/SX tracks and frankly he's not that good. His buddy traded in his KX65 for an XR80 and improved considerably. The powerband is much friendly on the 4-stroke and the suspension isn't really an issue because he's not taking any big jumps.

My son wants a 4-stroke now. Does anyone know of any choices other than the XR80? One option I was wondering about was getting an XR100 and putting XR80-sized wheels on. Does anyone know how I could pick up XR80 wheels fairly cheap - and will they slap on the XR100 without any modifications? My main concern with the XR's and TTR-125 is the weight.

I'd like to get him one of those sweet BBR bikes with 14/17 inch wheels but I checked the prices and they are way out of my reach! Anyone know where I could find a used BBR bike?

Any suggestions on a good 4-stroke for this application - sized about the same as an XR100 - would be very much appreciated!

One more thing: What in the heck is the skin-o-matic?!

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Get him out there on the XR80 as it will improve his riding out of sight. The KX is a great bike but for the learner / timid rider they are just a bit too much. I had the situation of the boy just had to have a KX80 so we got him one. Disaster, just too much bike for him, so I bit the bullet and I got him a XR80 and kept the KX and then went a bit wild on the mods on the XR but we both had fun and it improved his skills to make him a much better rider and a lot keener. He now is just 15 and rides a YZ125 and a very modified TTR125L. Hes now really quick and smooooth. A lot of parents at the track have real problems with the quick TTR as hes a lot faster than a lot of the 85's. We run XR80's in the 65 class and a lot do really well. The 4 stroke makes them better riders IMO. But if hes quick on a 2 stroke from day one its another story.

The XR suspension is a bit sus. Stiff in the back and light up front. Get new stiffer fork springs to balance it and he will rip on it. Good luck

AMinkman

Nov 17, 1999
Whats wrong with a KLX110. That way everybody stays green. After 2 months he'll be ready for the 65 again and you'll have a cool pit bike!!

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
The little KLX110 is more a TTR90 style and size from what I have seen. The XR is a more traditional 5 speed normal control bike.

dell30rb1

Uhhh...
Jan 14, 2002
Just ask Dave!!

He put his 9 year old son on an xr100.

He re mounted the rear shock on a different mounting hole, and cut two inches off the forks.

Its really low to the ground.

Look in his signature for the link to his photp page, he's got pictures of the
flattened out xr100 on it.

If i were you I'd keep the kx.

Find a way to de-rate it.
Eric can port those so that the powerband is smoother, and more friendly.
its only 100 dollars(mabye less for a 65), soon your son will be used to his kx, and its capabilities surpass (suspension wise) the xr's.

Last edited:

Top Bottom