DaRooster

Oct 8, 2005
I recently purchased a 2003 KX65 for my 8 year old son. He currently is riding the tires off the Extreme 90cc four stroke. My son is short for his age and was curious if anyone makes a lowering kit or can I just tweak the suspension without any modifications. He can stand a 65 up on one foot but would be good to make him feel a little more comfortable on the seat. Thanks for any who replies. This bike is killer, I should post pictures of it. Obviously the fella babied it, and put over $1000 in aftermarket parts on it plus green anodized wheels.

Thanks,
Chad

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Try these links:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...46&store=&catId=&productId=p582546&leafCatId=
http://www.koubalink.com/KX65.html

Or just be patient, we purchased a KX65 for my son over a year and a half ago. Two months ago he learned to pick it up and start it by himself. He is now 4'2", weighs 54lbs, and is doing very well on the bike. His confidence has grown tremendously as he has gotten taller, however, I have heard that lowering a bike can cause handling and stability issues that I was not willing to introduce. Recently, my boy took a shot at riding a TTR125, and within 20 seconds was jumping it the same way he jumps his KX. My son has done a few rather amusing things to stop the 65 while growing, including, stepping off the side of the bike while it was still moving. I used to provide a platform (trailer, crate, 4x6 board, etc) for him to use to stop on to make him feel more secure. And he still uses blocks at the gate. He can start without them, but the bike is leaning. If you want to show you son another tiny 8 year old on a 65, go to www.frumonkey.com.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I forgot to mention, the bike is still on the stock suspension. I chose not to lower it. Another viable, and possibly cheaper option, is to have a machine shop fabricate the links. this will require a little geometry knowledge to get right, but I know someone that did it.

Sep 30, 2005
you can buy FACTORY lowering link for around 25.00 at your local Kawi dealer... i've talk to some people who have lowered theirs to lower than a kx 60 by .5" . im in the same boat with you but i havent bought the 65 YET...

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you can just but the linakage from Kawai as mentioned. If you guy can hold it up I'd just leave it. Your money is better spent getting the suspension redone for his weight. It will make him more comfy than anything you've mentioned. The stock suspension is setup for 88lbs. Once he takes off it won't matter and he can use blocks at the gate. When you lower them they don't have as much travel due to the linkage.

Top Bottom