4 Strokes are now louder than 2 strokes???

Kinna

Aug 6, 2003
I've been reading in here and people are saying 4 strokes are louder bikes than 2 strokes now? The newest bike I have is a 1979 Bultaco 250 2 stroke and that is a LOUD bike. How loud the bike is will affect my decision when i purchase a newer bike within a year. I was planning on one of the new mx 4 strokes but if they're louder why even bother?

Explain to me please :(

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
well, to me when im on a 250f its waaaay quieter, but for people that are local, they can hear me from really far away when im riding my buddy's bike. If you are really worried about the noise for others convience and still love the bike, invest in an aftermarket silencer...

Kinna

Aug 6, 2003
I see, I've always thought of 2 strokes as louder bikes because they are close up. But i never thought about a 4 stroke carrying the sound further.

Forgive me for asking such a simple question but, Do the silencers work that well? I'm familiar with packing the exhaust in older bikes but i've never really used or heard a silencer.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by Kinna
Forgive me for asking such a simple question but, Do the silencers work that well? I'm familiar with packing the exhaust in older bikes but i've never really used or heard a silencer.

If you pack something, you have a silencer. Any bike without a silencer will make your ears bleed. A silencer on a motorbike is not an optional add-on like for firearms, they come standard on all bikes.

Simply put, the louder the silencer is, the more performance, especially for four-strokes. And I mean silencers that are designed to not restrict airflow, not ones that have blown out, burned, or drenched in oil their packing.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Simply put, the louder the silencer is, the more performance, especially for four-strokes.

Completly not true! :eek:

That's just what the so-cal "mad" scientists (aka pipe builders) want you to think :cool:

Top Bottom