BIF

Aug 14, 2002
OK, based on articles, opinions, reviews, feedback, etc. I have narrowed my bike choices down to 450EXC or WR450F. There's really not that much info on WR450 yet, just that its the one to compete with 450EXC. Still have a question though about which power style would be better for "all around" riding (little trails, little enduro, little mx, etc.) The EXC probably has a little more grunt because of the longer stroke, but I read a rider who converted from WR426 to 450EXC, say that he really missed the crisp throttle response of his WR426 and the 450EXC felt "soggy." I believe the WR450 has a longer stroke than 426, so maybe its an all around better choice?

Also, I always read KTM guys talking about carb jetting, they can go on for days about it. Are KTM's notorious for carb issues? Neither bike is available until November and with the KTM at $8200 OTD, WR450 at $7200 OTD (is this typical pricing?) it almost seems like WR450 could be better choice. Hey orange guys, are the bikes really that much better? Anybody else got any opinion on how these bikes are going to compare to each other? gotta go, wife calling. Thanks for your help.

B

biglou

Keep in mind that most of this is JMHO: I don't think you could go wrong with either of these bikes. The differences in the two will be the color, the kTm will have some better components (chain, handlebars, juice clutch), and the WR will weigh a bit more (10-20 lbs?). The gearing will be in the same ballpark-wide ratio. Both will be E-start. The jetting on the kTm should not be much of an issue, if at all. I think it will come down to what flavor you prefer best! Parts cost and availability will be comparable. Service intervals/intensity might be slightly higher for the kTm. Not sure if they are keeping the dual oil filters and relatively low oil capacity as the previous EXC's had. The new WR is slimmer than the previous ones, it got a smaller tank, and a flatter seat-tank junction. It looks like it closely resembles the 02 and later YZF's shape. The fuel capacity is down by about a gallon over last year's model. A lot of people changed out their seat and tank to the YZF parts to slim the bikes down.

Personally, I'd buy the ktm, but in the long run, you will probably be just as happy with either. Heads, kTm. Tails, WR? :)

Also-Those prices seem a bit high. You can probably do better on both of those bikes if you shop around. Good luck.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I couldn't tell where you live, but if you the trails you ride are toward the tight, twisty variety, I'd personally think you'll like the KTM better. I owned a 99 WR400 and rode it in Michigan. While I liked the motor, I don't miss the bike a bit - I switched to a KTM 250 EXC (2 stroke) and love it. I used to think I'd be a 4 stroke rider again, but now I'm not sure I'd switch back until I have to.

Also, since the KTM weighs a little less, you should be able to ride it longer/harder without getting tired. The weight of the WR is something I just never go used to.

Jetting is part of the normal male fidgeting process. You'll find hundreds of threads about jetting for just about any bike out there. :confused:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
You really have to own a KTM and work on it a bit to begin to appreciate all the little parts that are just better than most of the Japanese bikes. Re: carb jetting, Mark said it well, though another angle to consider is both of these bikes are using Keihin FCR carbs, so it won't be much different between the two. I think the KTM holds the edge over the WR for quality, the fat handlebars, the hydraulic clutch, powdercoated frame, and too many other little things. On top of all that, if you like Jeremy McGrath then buy the orange bike and root for him next season!

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
like MWEISSEN said it depends are where you live and what you ride. the katoom will handle way better than the wr but IMO a wr is only good for dessert and not suited for the tight trails sure a good rider can wiggle it around fairly good but for the most part the ktm will be alot smoother in the corners as well as have the bottom end and will kepp the tire stuck more. also ktms have the hyrolic clutch oversized bars and all around better parts. the wr has the top speed reliability (but i still think you have to change the oil alot but you should do that with any 4 stroke) the wr is for dessert and ktm is good for trials and endero kinda riding but i think both can do well on a mx track of course all this is in my own opinion

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Don't forget that this is a new WR and the geometry has changed some so don't count on anything said here. Euros and Japanese bikes feel completely different and the ergos may make the call. I grew up riding Yamahas and always feel more comfortable riding them than KTMs but the next guy will say something different. Both bikes will be great, that I think we can agree on.

One thing I can say in Yamaha's favor is that I can have any part, in any small town, for a bike that is over a decade old in 3-4 days. That makes the call for me since I take very good care of my bikes and keep them for a while.

Tradittionally WRs have been better out west in more open forests and the desert and KTMs thrive in the woods, but Yamaha has a world enduro champion WR250 so don't count the 450 out in the tight stuff yet. Stick around it could get interesting.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Yeah Tigerowner's right about ergo differences. Although I never liked the weight of my WR, I thought the ergos were pretty good. Then I got my KTM 250 EXC, and it sure felt different. Now I'm hooked on the KTM ergos. When I switch to my son's YZ250F, it feels weird. Of course he says the same about my KTM. Which is "right?". Whatever you feel comfortable on. I'll just say this: the KTM's front wheel sticks like it's on rails compared to the WR AND YZ250F, the power of the WR is really fun, I can weave the KTM through trees a whole bunch faster, and I haven't had a reliability issue on the last 7 dirts bikes I've owned.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
i say parts-schmarts.

parts availability is simply a matter of dealer proximity. and the closest Yam dealer is an hour away from my town. if you do your own repairs this point is moot on account of a new invention called a "parts catalog." you just order the part and in a few days it shows up at your door!

jeremiah

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I am sure the new WR's are much better than the 98 that I owned, but I have to agree with some of the earlier comments. It seems to shine in the more open areas. It can be tiring trying to throw that thing around in tight woods trails. I just bought a KTM 450EXC. I've only had it for a couple of days but the power is great and I love the suspension. It gets through the trees much easier than my old WR or DRZ. This is the second KTM that I've owned and so far the KTM's are the only bikes that I have been satisfied with. In reality though I think the WR would be an awesome ride now that it has electric start and new ergonomics.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Lets not forget about the awesome 48 MM forks on the KTM. They are quite nice. Compare hubs, axles, and crafstmanship. I don't think you can go wrong with the KTM. Ride it hard, give it good preventative maint and it should serve you well. Other nice items previously mentioned are handle bars, juice clutch, great brakes and attintion to detail in so many parts. I've spent a little time working on my bike and I'm impressed by the quality.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
WR or EXC, now that's a good question! I've noticed on Yamaha's site that the WR weighs less for '03 and has a new chassis design so I'm not sure that previous years are comparable. KTM's are awsome bikes right out of the box, but have the price tag to reflect that fact. I'm a little partial to the blue bikes right now but those frikkin' KTM's are HARD TO KEEP UP WITH in the tight stuff, but then I'm on a YZ. As far as parts, the internet has kept me from buying everything but oil from my local dealer so parts aren't going to be a problem for either bike. Good luck with that decision!

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I have an '02 400 MXC with a 450 EE kit in it, I ride with a guy with an '02 WR 426. Granted the '03 WR is suppose to be better but I have rode the '02 and there is no way that I would trade my bike for a WR. I think MWeissen had a great point, it is largely what you are used to. The KTM does come with better stock parts. Think the prices should be about the same, the 1k difference in price you quote is not at all what I have seen, you can do much better on the KTM if you look a bit. A local dealer that sells both bikes has them priced within $100 of each other. My KTM is my second and I have never, ever had problems with parts, ever, think that is a hold over in a lot of people's minds from a decade or so ago. I am sure you would like the blue beast but if it were my money I would opt for orange.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Maybe Yamaha will fix some things for '03, but to make a WR truly worthy, you'll put some money into it. The exhaust has been so restrictive up to this point that the bike is anemic until something is done with it. At least a Vortip end should be put on it - unfortunately most people just pull out the silencer plug and make a bunch of racket. On early models, the tank and seat were junk in the woods. Add those up, the KTM wins the price war too.

Top Bottom