Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
Hey guys,
I have finished breaking in the new 450F. I love this bike..... :flame: BUT:
I am getting a whine from the clutch when let it out from a dead stop. I saw over on TT that there are more and more people having this problem with the 450F. Are any of you guys having this problem as well? I think that Yamaha is working on a fix but right now they dont have anything. :think:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Everyone started to notice that too on mine before i duffed it. Since you read the threads on TT too, my view is that its not really a problem yet, just a noise. Guess you'll find out long before me since i wont be riding mine for afew months. :p

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
Yea I hear ya there. I talked with the dealer in Stillwater and he is checking into it for me as well. I hope its just a noise and not a problem.

B

biglou

There is one thread over there on TT that has a contact number for Yamaha USA or something, and another guy is getting a loaner basket from Hinson that may cure the noise. The guy in the latter thread said something about drilling holes in the inner basket to let more oil flow through to the plates as this is how they're oiled. The clutch is "dry sump", I believe he said, in that centrifugal force "slings" oil outward from the center bearing into the plates. More holes = more oil on the plates = no/less noise from what he said. I don't have enough firsthand experience to comment other than to say to read what is written over there. But, as always, you have to filter through all the repeat posts to find the one with the info you need.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I have the same noise. I haven't given it much thought. I was thinking about pulling the clutch cover and giving it a thorough inspection. Got a link to this thread?

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
I talked to the dealer up in Stillwater. There is a fix coming from Yamaha. They are faxing me over the offcial fax from Yamaha. As soon as I get it I will post it up here. They are taking some parts from the 426 clutch and using them in the 450 to fix it.

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Here is copy and paste from MD (I think this was originally posted at Thumper Talk...)

I am asking anyone owning a 03' 4spd 4-5-0 that has the mysterious clutch problems to please contact the following telephone # if you live in the USA.

I was advised by the gal at Yamaha to pass the word on logging the clutch problems. She let me know that it may help in a recall and lets the research dept. get "hoppin'" on it if there needs to be a solution.

So here it is..........

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630 Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926 Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles, ATVs,
Snowmobiles, Generators and Race Kart Engines.

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
Ok guys I have the fax. It looks like they are taking the last friction plate off of the 450 and replacing it it a plate from the 426 as well as the spring and seat from the 426. email me at dwink@swbell.net and I will send you a copy of it with the part numbers. This is covered under the yamaha warranty. :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
The '00 426 had the same clutch problem (even worse that the '03 by the sounds of it). The solution was to replace the final friction plate with the final plate from an '01 or '02 426. It works. I've actually used the updated final friction plate without the spring boss/seat plate set (because of incompatibilty with Hinson inner hub) without any problems.

If the 450 uses the same size clutch plates as the 426, then this should work. It's seems strange that Yamaha would drop the final clutch plate design for '03, and go back to the '00 problems.

Last edited:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I dropped mine off today to have the clutch work done and new fork seals. They already heard about the problem and trial fix so that might be a good sign? I just dont know if i made the right move taking it to that dealer. Soon as my friend backed up around the corner all the guys in there got way too excited to see a YZ450F coming in for repairs. :( I have a funny feeling once its fixed they may take turns riding it on the track behind the shop. :think: I guess if the tires are missing the red dirt stains from Cooperland then they were out playing. I wont beable to be much help on whether the fix works or not since i cant ride. I'll have to have my friend or uncle ride it some to findout. Otherwise it wont be til January.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I ordered the parts today. My dealer has still not heard anything from Yamaha but I gave them the memo#, MRM26026. $43.12 for parts and tax. Hopefully this will solve the problem with the grabby clutch. :think:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Mine's almost done and ready to ride. They still waiting on the clutch cover gasket, everything else is fixed. So once it's done someone will have to test it for me.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
DOH! I forgot to order the gasket.

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
Swift,
You might want to see if your dealer would pay for it. The guys in Stillwater are sending me the parts at no charge. I am going to put them on as soon as I get them. I have heard from a couple of people that this is the solution. :thumb:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've given them(the dealer) all the info I've collected from the internet including the Memo number(MRM26026). They will be checking into it Tuesday. Seems, Yamaha hasn't actually issued a service bulletin yet.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
No, but most people have posted that "Yamaha" will pay the dealer for the work. I highly doubt they want bad PR for not fixing a known problem. Like i said in my PM, my shop already new about it and they havent even sold a YZ450F yet. So someone sent out info to all the shops. Hopefully there isnt a waiting list for the gasket! Doesnt matter much to me since i cant ride yet but several friends are dying to take it for a spin.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thanks guys. Your help was priceless. My dealer's service manager did the research and came up with nothing. Sooooo, I supplied him with a FAX and the memo # and he called Yamaha(he didn't get 5 menus). Yamaha said my bike was out of warrentee:( but the service manager said he had tried to get the info two weeks earlier(which he had done). Yamaha agreed to pay for the repair. DRN members saved me $50 bucks real easy. Thanks guys.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
My Brother in law took mine for a spin yesterday and everything runs smooth. I think we will have another thumper rider in the spring, he loves the way the bike rides compared to his CR500. Only problem is he stalled it in the back field and i had to take the quad out to start it for him. Looked pretty funny seeing him hold the bike up while i kicked it since my left ankle/leg is broke. Got it fired on 3rd kick. Glad that Yamaha is taking care of you Brian!

Top Bottom