BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Not sure if the production fix has been made.  Yamaha will take care of it.  Worst part is waiting for the parts.  I got my bike just before DW02 and just got it fixed this week. 

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like a comment made by a 13 year old.  He's been around the block all right, just hasn't found his way home. :debil:

Ga426owner

May 10, 2001
I swapped the parts in my 03 450. Now I have dragging issue & I can not find neutral while bike is running at a complete stop. I discussed with DRD. They say to cut 4mm off of the arm. This will increase clutch pull, which I am reluctant to do. Someone mentioned the WR450 actuator arm....Has anyone tried this yet? How is the clutch pull?

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Supposedly this is a two part fix. The plate swap and the actuator. Sounds legit to me.

Ga426owner

May 10, 2001
Sounds legit to me also, but you would think from all the TT threads that the friction plate, clutch boss spring & seat plate was the fix........NOTTTT!
I wonder if Hinson has addressed this with pressure plate, inner hub & basket....expensive route to take(I have sent them email to ask). I may just put it all back to stock until a better fix is confirmed. I will talk to Yamaha tomarrow to check on WR clutch parts ie..actuator arm differences.
The noise I discovered is due to the first friction plate is scorching/rubbing against the inner hub lip. Mine has quite a bit of wear on both parts. I also increased oil passages on the inner hub 1mm per DRD to increase oil delivery. Any further ideas or assistance will be appreciated.......

Ga426owner

May 10, 2001
After a exhausting day yesterday w/ Yamaha, Hinson & DRD, here are my results. There is a service bulletin on the 450 clutch. It is being mailed to me from the dealership. It states that you must cut the clutch arm as well as swap over to 426 01-02 clutch parts. This is the owners responsibility as this is NOT a warranty issue. This is beyond my understanding & possible reason for me to sell a 2mo. old 450 to buy a CRF after 5 YZ & YZF's. I am utterly discusted with Yamaha's reasoning & total lack of manufacturer responsibility & cust. service. I believe as the dealer does, that this will become more widespread. I am not even a medium clutch user on this bike. So I am waiting to see how much more widespread this becomes. I am not jazzed about cutting the clutch arm, but will probably do it just to solve the issue. I am damn afraid that if I cut it & it does not work properly then what? & increased clutch pull to almost 33% according to dealer........or put up with noisy, grabby clutch....decisions.
Hinson said that they have tested their basket & pressure plate & it has cured a lot of the issue. I asked if inner hub was used in this test & they said no. Most of the wear is on the inner hub lip where the first friction plate makes contact. This I believe is where the noise is generated from. Hinson prices for all three parts is over $600.00...very expensive option that is untested at this point.
So, at this point these are my findings. It is possible that Yamaha's manufacturing process for the inner hub may be faulty or less than good on the tolerances. This may be reason for some owners to experience others to not. So would it make since to buy a Yamaha inner hub? If I go that route, I will buy Hinson. $299.00 retail.
Or do I just put it all back as stock & sell this bike & buy a CRF?
Yamaha are you listening..........doubtful.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I'm so glad I found this thread before making a trip to Lakehill. This very issue is the primary reason why I'm waiting to see what happens. I can deal with the lack of a fifth gear by gearing but a "known" problem that will not be dealt with as a warrany?? That's ASININE and LUDICROUS!!

techman

Feb 18, 2000
This is probably one of bleeding-edge design situations, where the jump from 400 to 426 triggered it, they got it worked out but then when it went from 426 to 450 it was a just slightly different load and control situation again for the clutch. Before I'd get too upset I'd drop the 01 or 02 plates in it, or more importantly, before chattering the clutch to a damaged state, I'd drop those plates in. Or if you're just really, really, really mad at evrywun, buy the honda or ktm etc to show 'em all ..... (?) Those bikes don't have any small problems at all .... ok, I lied on that one.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by jpaolucci
Has anyone heard of this on WR250F's isn't there a 30 warrentee? Will they cover the fix after 30 days?

Talk to the dealer ASAP if you have already bought one.  If you haven't got it yet.  Discuss this issue with the dealer first.  Yamaha will cover the repairs.

mx_453

Feb 7, 2003
Well, I am glad that I took a look at this. I bought my 450 in Nov. and have not had a chance to ride it yet. I am happy to have the bike, but now I am a little upset that it is not perfect. Keep us posted on what everyone finds out.

Ga426owner

May 10, 2001
Well to close out my story: I kept all bulletin parts installed, waiver spring, plate seat & new friction plate. I replaced modified clutch arm with a stock 450 clutch arm. I drilled out oil passages a extra 1mm on inner hub. I also purchased works connection pro perch w/ hot start CR lever....it really helps with clutch pull & is much better than stock perch. The clutch has since worn in...very little difficulty finding neutral while stopped & bike running. Doug at DRD is working on new waiver spring to help with clutch pull & 1 finger clutching thru corners -- should be avail in 2 weeks. GYTR has released clutch fix for april 2003 including all 426 parts waiverspring, friction plate,plate seat & modified clutch arm?? whatever this is...for $109.00...
for all that are induring the grabby/noisy clutch.......it can be remedied....w/ a lot of patience & $$$$$$.
good luck

Top Bottom