TEAMRAT

Sep 19, 2001
OK, heres the problem........ I removed all the lights and speedo etc from my EU/AUS spec 520 and went riding, all sweet.
The other day I was reading a post about battery charging etc and got to thinking, hmmmm best I check the battery.
Now being an electrician means I am supposed to know all about this stuff so tonight I went testing.
First off, no increase in terminal voltage while bike idling or reving, strange, I looked at the wiring schematic and sussed the 2 circuits. The AC lighting circuit and the DC circuit which runs indicators, fan (when fitted) and starter. The DC circuit is fine except it appears not to be charging. I refitted the lights and control switches to the bike and went to check that the lights worked, and low and behold they dont.
I then checked the output from the coil with bike running, only 3vac and up to 6vac when revved up. Not enough to make the lights go.

My first question is has anybody else lost the lights/charging after removing wiring?? Am I overlooking something simple??

My second question request is, can anybody tell me what they get from the coil normally at idle and then revved up?? You need to remove the tank and connect a meter to the coil output wires White to ground is DC charging output and Yellow to ground is AC lighting output.
And also tell me the OHM's readings for the coils between the ends of the windings and ground and between the 2 winding ends?

I suspect a crook coil but wish to clarify the facts before racing off to the dealer.

Any help as always greatly appreciated.:confused:

TEAMRAT

Sep 19, 2001
:o
OK had another look at this problem today, with hindsight the problem had to be due to the removal of the lights...............
So I went looking and found.............
The speedo light and high beam indicator light that normally reside in the speedo are of the push in lamp type that are a rubber moulding with contacts inside them, the lamp normally keeps the contacts apart.
But if you remove the lamps the contacts can come together with a little vibration and hey presto no lights.
The coils basically had dead shorts on them, so on fitting lamps back in all is well the battery is charging and the lights are lighting............ :)

So I hope this may help someone else from going down the same road.

Top Bottom