520 suspension tuning on personal bike

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
I have been tweeking my suspension on my 02 520 and I have the set up that really works at least for me.
Today we rode the bikes hard. I went through 4 gallons of fuel.
I am 198 pounds with my gear on and ride mx in vet a.
forks , stock valving, stock 44 springs, 15 out on comp, 12 on rebound, oil level at 140mm, preload 3.5mm forks slid up in the clamps 10mm.stock triple clamps.

Shock, revalved for more high speed comp, pds -6,260 spring at 25mm unladen sag. Comp at 23 clicks out( yea thats allot)
rebound at 16 out. High speed comp full out.
The bike handles great and three others rode it and agreed.
Tried straight rates and different valving on the shock before going this route.
Forks have no harshness and no noticable bottoming.
Total cost $50.00 for the shock spring and $50.00 for the shock revalve.

Last edited:

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Rollingp, I've also got similar fork settings on my 520. I tried a lot of different setups, and fortunately was able to dial-in the stock forks perfectly for me (160 lbs). They work 10x better than my revalved and resprung CR forks did. Some people are so quick to throw money at the WP forks and have them revalved, but with just some careful setup they're awesome.

I don't have the shock quite where I want it yet, but I'm working on it. It's the forks that are most important, anyway.

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Yea buddy these forks are very good .
I got the spring from a guy that changed to a stiffer one as soon as he found out the pds 6 was too soft for him .
It was like new.
MXA says to run stiffer springs and an oil level of 120mm.
I tried that before they even wrote about it but I felt the forks rode too high in the stroke and the mid stroke action was harsh.
This set up Im running now seems to work well and there is allot of room to go either way with the clickers for different tracks.
Cant wait to hit LOG Road on March 2nd for the open practice and race on the 3rd..( A little out of shape still)
I will have to miss the practice on the 9th. Im going to Daytona for the sx.

Shock---Try running the high speed all the way out and your low at around 22-23 clicks out. Mid way on the rebound.
I feel the valving is firm on these bikes and the stiff spring doesnt help.
The pds 6 even worked well for Jim Royco and he is 150 lbs.
He is also super fast. Mike Wiesner valved in more high speed comp and
that made the bike track over the high speed studder bumps without packing .
I really think the progression of the stock spring is wrong for anything other than straight out sx only. (In combination with the stock valving.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom