endomatic

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
I am going to buy a 6x10 enclosed trailer and was wondering which way was best to tie down the bikes? Should i use E-track and how should i mount the wheel chocks, straight in front of trailer or off to the side? And do you worry about evening out the weight? Any pictures or advice would help. Thanks in advance.

Endomatic

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I personally use E-track in mine and mount bikes diagonally, using small peices of angle iron bolted on the wall to hold the wheel. No chocks to get in the way.

It depends on how many bikes you want to carry really. I was carrying just my CR250 this winter and simply tied it in the middle of the floor (no chock), just put a tie throught the back wheel and two from the front and the bike is suspended in the middle of the trailer. This is what I really like about my E-Track...versitility :thumb:

Here's a pic of my setup at present (still evolving ;) )
Also, do a search in this forum, as MX727 also has a bunch of pics posted.

Resize%20trailer%202.jpg

headbanger

May 7, 2000
I just picked up a 6x12 ramp. I also purchased "E" track $11.00 for 10' sections. I plan on mounting the "E" track on the walls one just off floor level and another about 12'' off the floor and plan to use angle iron between them
w/o chocks. With the bike diagonal I think four full size bikes will fit. And it will be very easy to reconfigure since the "E" track has 2' spacing.
I do not like the "E" track on the floor because it will fill with dirt.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by endomatic
Should i use E-track and how should i mount the wheel chocks, straight in front of trailer or off to the side?

I'm overhauling my 6x12, and I've bought the Ancra track that is used in airplanes. I'll put the track on the wall, so that it can be used to steady the front wheel and tie down the bikes.

I mount my bikes sideways, per the MX727 doctrine. Instead of non-skid aluminum floor, I bought a single sheet of black and white checkered flooring. Bought a couple of those nifty aluminum shelves for helmets and gear, and lube, etc.

Also, bought a 12 volt ceiling exhaust fan. Also, going to get the styrofoam insulation for the walls from Home Depot. Should be able to get it all installed by weekend (I'm on vacation).

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i use a turnbuckle system. i set the bikes on their stands and tie them down through the footpegs to d-rings in the floor using turnbuckles. no tie downs, suspension is not compressed, nothing in the way.

JTT obviously doesn't really ride. that trailer is much too clean. ;)

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
LOL! Actually, I had just painted it when I took the picture...figured I better, as it will likely never look like that again :thumb:

MX, how long you been using the turnbuckles? I had a freind who used them, but after a season, his nice aluminum stands were trashed from all the twisting/bumping motion in the trailer...and the floor was beat from the same stands.

I still find good ol'tiedowns are simplest and fastest..for me anyways...but I'm nutoriously lazy ;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i got my trailer in may, 2000. i started using the turnbuckle system right away. i got the idea from a trailer that i looked at before i bought mine. your friend must not be tightening them down enough. i don't have any damage to my floor other than the paint marks from the stands (i use painted steel stands). i have a turnbuckle set-up on each side of my trailer. if i bring a third bike, i use tie downs and put the bike in the center-front.

i think i will put in some of that e-track. it looks handy. i always have a bunch of gear (generator, cots, stove, lawn chairs, etc.) tied down all over the place. the e-track would make that much simpler.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Yeah, I think the steel stands are likely the best setup too, as the aluminum ones definitely fatique over time. The track is awesome and extremely versitile. I mounted mine so the tops are flush with remainder of floor, leaving a nice smooth surface (in case you had to slide something heavy or to avoid tripping). Next upgrade for me is a run of wall mounted track on each side.

Top Bottom