Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I'm trying to set up my 6x10 enclosed haulmark to carry two bikes. I figured i would roll both to the front, side by side, into wheel chocks and then strap them down. Most of the time only one will ride in there, but i wanted to have it set up for two. Number one bike would just ride on one side most of the time. this set up puts each bike to one side. When in the chock, the outside handle bar is only about 4" from the trailer wall. The tie down rings are in each corner and one in the middle along the front of the trailer. When in the chock this puts the tie down in front of the tire. The problem is that there is little or no side to side tiedown angle, so the bike wants to fall over. I'm thinking i need to move the d rings back towards the handle bar so the tie down runs from the bar down to the floor at just enough angle to pull the bike into the chock. This may provide some side to side support and hold the bike up.
Hmmmm anyone still follwing me here??
Which i guess is a long winded way of asking where i should place the d rings so i can have two bikes side by side and not have'em falling over?? I don't want to turn my floor into swiss cheese trying to get the right spot figured out!!

Thanks

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i have a 6 x 12. i put d rings in the floor about the same distance apart as the pegs on the bike are. i then set the bikes on stands and tie down the pegs to the d rings with turnbuckles. no slipping, no leaning and the forks are not compressed. it's very quick and easy and you don't even need tie down straps. i also put d rings in the front to tie a single bike down using the standard method if i need to.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Check out my pics. Click on my avatar (picture under my user name) I have the 7 x 14 without wheel wells, but it may give you some ideas.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
ATK Bike shoe? - THE way to go.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
It is soooooo nice to load five bikes in three minutes. Love that bike shoe and I have NEVER had the back end wander the slightest bit. I was run off the shoulder by a truck and hit a hole that I thought for sure had made a mess of my trailer. Opened the door and manuals had been bounced up 12 inches and out of the rack, but the bikes were in there exact assigned spaces. :) I don't use any tie-downs on the bikes at all.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Just make sure you don't put the ATK bike shoe too close to a wall. I did, and the front bar doesn't go as far open as it could, therefore the tire hold down bar doesn't go over the front tire as far as it could before clamping the thing down.

It is an awesome set up though.

- Bill

elroy

Oct 31, 2000
I swear up and down on the ATK bike shoe its the best $65.00 i ever spent. On May 17th of 02 i was involved in an accident on an interstate highway... wasnt my fault but anyways. i had a F250 4x4 was pulling a 5x10 with a 6ft ceiling my bike was in the bike shoe, i got jack knifed the trailer came off the ball... it broke the trailer hitch, trailer flipped over. it was a total loss. and i thought all was bad on my 4 month old YZ426 but it was STILL IN THE BIKE SHOE man was i supprised. the trailer was up on its side with the bike hanging out of it. the bike shoe is still good and im putting it in my new trailer. Now the other guy bought me a real trailer a 7x18ft lol see good thing sdo come out of it. i just thought id give my thought of the bike shoe they are well worth the money. :p

Vegas 250 F

May 14, 2001
I just installed 4 bike shoes in our 7x16 trailer and I love them. It is so nice being able to hook the bikes down that fast and easy . . . I recommend them to anyone who has a trailer. Also nice not having to trip over tie-downs!

Top Bottom