truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The weekend started out Friday night when my friend Sean came up. Jenni, Sean and I went out to dinner, hit a couple of clubs and got home at an early 3am. No drinking for me so I felt good Saturday morning and was actually up before 9am but let the other two sleep a little longer. Wrench arrived around 11 and after the other two got up we went to the skating rink around noon.

Skating rink?

Yes. Skating rink. It was my nieces birthday party.

When I was younger (yeah, I was always great then) I could skate very well. I figured skating wouldn't be too bad so I started out with rollerblades.

Bad idea. I had them on all of 30 seconds and didn't leave the carpet. Gave them back for some old fashion skates.

Bad idea again.

It didn't take 5 laps of flailing and exagerated movements before I fell and rolled and went butt over head! Small bruise on knee and large bruise on pride. I did continue though and got to where I was going ok but I had some balance control problems. My feet hurt from all the balancing and my legs started to get sore so I gave it up and decided I better save myself for something safe like racing :)

My niece, sister, dad and Sean all came to the race. It was a lot of fun having Sean around. I've known him over 17 years (since I was an 8th grader I think) and he is always cool to have around for me. I just don't get to see him as much anymore. Plus, Jenni and him get along really, really well. I am very lucky that my friends get along with her so much and that she likes them so much.

Anyway, I decided on 250D (as usual) and the +25c/d. Again, they ran the +30a/b, 250a, +25a/b and the +25c/d all together. I figured it would be another great opportunity to show my lapper skills.

In the 250D heat race I got a decent jump. A bunch of guys went down on the 4th turn and I moved into 4th and had my sites set on 3rd. I made it pass 3rd in the whoops.

A lap or so later another guy came up fast adn passed me for 3rd. Then there was another guy who I battled with a little and on the last lap we were hollering at each other and having a good time. Over one of the jumps I looked over and hollered to him as I looked at him yelling "you go boy... whoooo hoooo!!" It was really cool. I held him off after the whoops and finished in 4th position
in the heat race out of 16.

Turns out the guy makes the little dolly that fits on the bottom of the bike stands so you can put your bike on the stand and still roll it around where you want it. He is a really nice guy and we talked a good bit in the pits after the race. I gave him the e-mail addy to contact Okie for some advertising and potential testing opportunities. Dirtbike did a test on this thing a while back and Tom Webb owns one. Not that that means much to me but it is pretty cool to ride with someone who makes something cool like that (or at least I think it is cool).

In the +25c/d heat race I let everyone go and I played around and practiced a few things. I had a decent run through the whoops by just trying to hammer through so I figured I'd try it again in the main. I also tried the double. It really is two small bumps but the good riders turn it into a double.

I made the double but didn't have enough braking power to stop and I went up and over the berm. Turned back and got back on the track in time to let the A riders by me. There were 7 in my class and I got... 7th :( Not too bad though b/c I stayed with one guy for a lap so I feel if I get better with cornering and whoops I'll be right up there with them for a little longer (how many times do I say that? cornerning and whoops<G>).

In the main the gate dropped and I went all the way to the outside. The crowed went inside and moved over to the right where I was coming over the jump. One guy to my left went down and I turned to avoid him. As I moved right the crowd that went around the downed rider moved right over towards me. A guy was getting up off the ground at the bottom of the jump and I tried to avoid hitting him square in the back but couldn't move enough and I hit him square on the left side of his helmet with my front tire.

B/C of my steering damper I barely felt it and was on my way but I couldn't get the hit out of my mind. I felt really, really bad. As we came around to the whoops I was out of rythm and looking for the red-cross flags that I was sure would be out. However, as I looked to my left near the end of the whoops I didn't see them. Then for another lap I was worried about whether or not he got carried off or not. I hit the whoops and didn't have any rythm at all.

Finally I decided to put it out of my mind and I put my head down. I caught two guys the next lap in the whoop section and pulled a gap on them. I couldn't make up any time on the other guys in front of me but I didn't lose any ground either. Finish was 8th out of 16. Trophy position... whooo hooo! Also, turns out the guy was ok and I only dealt him a glancing blow according to someone else that saw it. He got up and finished the race.

In the +25c/d main only 5 of us went to the start. Whooo hoooo... I knew then and there I was getting my "model lapper" award, also known as the the 5th place trophy.

I talked to the A/B riders on the start and told them I know they'll lap me but not to worry b/c I'll hold my line. They were really nice and when I did get lapped two of them hollered "thank you" out to me. That was kinda cool. What wasn't cool was they lapped me on the 2nd lap!!! Then on my last lap the leader of my class lapped me. I swear he is a B rider.

I found out that all of the A/B riders lapped up to 3rd in the +25c/d class and the leader of our class lapped me and 4th place. That is hauling the mail if you ask me.

The best part of the night in my opinion was in the +25c/d class when I was goofing off. I decided to see how many I could double in the whoops. It is really hard to double all but the first 5 sets b/c the 6th set has a small, rolling take off with a peaked landing that is larger than the take off by about 3 inches or so. Well, I hit all of them perfect and doubled ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!! I even landed on the flat straight away at the end I timed it so perfectly.

I had to pre-load the suspension hard on the last set and my goal was only to get over that one but after that the rest were easy. I tried it again later but was being lapped by the leader of my class so I couldn't get it. It is cool knowing I can double all the way through now. Hopefully I'll be able to use that to my advantage next time.

Today, I'm really sore and can't get ahold of Gomer. I called but he didn't answer. I was supposed to go out to TNT but I'm too tired and sore (my legs are sore from the skating).

I think I need to throw in some skating as training. The only way I did good on the skates was when I was in the attack position and kept pushing for more speed. It probably would help my balance and leg strength.

Oh well, that is my report for the weekend. I hope you enjoyed it.

Ivan

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by linusb
Thanks Ivan, I did enjoy it. I have aspirations to race one day and find your posts helpful in what I can expect. :aj:

Last year was a learning experience and I am a very slow learner.

What I have learned is to hold your line if you are nervous or slower than someone. You'll get faster just being out there and trying. Racing teaches you a lot.

Give it a shot. Racing is fun. It isn't the same as a great day of riding with your fellow buds but it can be pretty darn close.

Ivan

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sounds like a good time, Ivan. Did Wrench race too?

linus, you don't have to be fast to race. I'm proof of that. :) Give it a shot. It's big fun, even if you finish last.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
Sounds like a good time, Ivan. Did Wrench race too?

Wrench raced too and got a couple of great starts. I figured I'd let him post his write up instead of giving away the whole show :)

Why don't you come up this weekend? You'll have a blast.

Ivan

Top Bottom