7 months old and looks like 7 years!

syko

Jan 10, 2004
My Kx has now had some decent runs although it hasn't hard half as much use as it could have done due to the fact UK weather has been the worst in many many years. rain rain rain and more rain.
lost count the number of times a track has been closed due to flooding.
anyway, i'd say my bike has probably had 7-9 hours use so far which isn't much really in 7 months and even though it has performed well so far it is starting to look like sh!t.

I should explain that I am a bit of a perfectionist and i spend more hours cleaning the bike than riding it, i've spent a fortune on cleaning liquids etc and every week i spend a whole saturday stripping and cleaning my machine in a vein attempt to make it look new again.
but it looks old and tatty.
the frame looks wrecked especially from where my boots have rubbed it. i know this always happens but the KX is the worst for this IMO. i put some graphics on it a while back and have decide i want a change and took them off. the black air box looks dull and scratched now where the graphics used to be. the rads are looking tatty. the engine looks run down and generally the bike looks like it hasn't been looked after but i really don't think i am to blame considering i spend so long stripping and cleaning it. i really think that the kx plastics and frame really spoil what is a great bike. looking at hondas and KTM's around my local track, they still look brand new, mine looks old.

So, anyway, does anybody have any tips or ideas on how i can get my bike looking good again and does anyone else find they have similar problem with their bikes or do you think I am just a neurotic loser with too much spare time who is more obsessed with looking good than riding good??? :|

DEGBTI

Jul 8, 2004
I'm a clean freak, all my bikes always look new. I too will strip it and clean it to death after a ride. I use Maxima clean up on the whole bike after the plastic is removed, then after washing it i WD 40 almost everything and let it evaporate by itself rather than wiping it down. Then I use Plexis (sp) on the plastic.
As far as a Kawasaki, I used Acebis frame protecters matching the frame color to hide the boot marks. Hondas will always look newer longer because of better quality parts. Remember, there is a reason wy everyone ranks Honda as top of the line quality bikes, whether they work good or not. My kawi and Yamahas have always been hard to keep looking fresh. Honestly, one of the reasons I own a Honda is because of the fresh look after hours of abuse.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Try putting Formula 303 (UV protectant) on your plastic and airbox after cleaning. It helps the plastic keep it's luster.

Also, I clean my bike by hand with Goof Off after power washing it. This seems to work really well and helps keep the plastic from staining.

Keeping a bike looking new is a job in and of itself! Good luck!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I think that Kawasaki's and Honda's do well in this regard. Yamaha's look beat in no time at all...and Suzuki's look worn before they are ever ridden :)

Face it Syko, it's a loosing battle. Plastic will get beat in a rough environment. If the bike is ridden, it's gonna look it. Clean is one thing...looking always new is another...you'll come to hate the machine over time.

Feb 28, 2004
Guys, I am the same way. I am a neat freak AND a perfectionist. I bet I am WORSE than you guys! I love my bike so much, I dont even wanna ride it, in fear of wearing it out and making it look not new anymore. Heck, you just breathe next to a Yamaha and the stickers wanna peel off! :bang: One of my radiator shroud stickers is starting to lift on the edge, I keep pushing it down and it stays down until I ride the bike and my leg rubs into it. It pisses me off!! I know, I know, its just a dirtbike, but it was an expensive machine and I want my stuff to look good at all times. I try my best to keep it looking showroom perfect, but its impossible to do when stickers are peeling by themselves!!! :bang: Mike :bang:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I didn't think that the KX plastic was so bad. It's a lot better than the Yamacrease plastic.
PJ1 sells touch up paints for the frame that match perfectly.

Face reality, once you ride your bike, it isn't new any more. :) :) :) :)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i dont beleive what i am reading- its a dirtbike- if you guys want something to polish, polish yer rocket....or buy a harley!

L

LukeRips

bclapham said:
i dont beleive what i am reading- its a dirtbike- if you guys want something to polish, polish yer rocket....or buy a harley!

Amen brother,

Don't get me wrong, my bikes are race-prepped immediately after a race but the plastice, frame and handguards look like I drove through a barbed-wire fence.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I agree with with the above statement... Hello! It is a DIRT bike. I realize that it takes alot of time and effort to properly maintain one, but if you think you can keep it looking brand new, you're crazy. I like my bike to be clean and look good, but I NEVER notice that fact when I'm trying to hang on. Besides, get-offs are inevitable, so there's going to be some scratches and things. Please, take a step back, and a deep breath, and go out and have fun on that bike!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I love having a clean bike. I also use the cleaning time to check for worn or damaged items.

Sure, stuff is going to wear out. No matter what you put on the frame, it always gets scratched. The best way I have found to deal with the frame is the cheap grip tape. Its available in many colors. Cut it to fit whatever wear pattern you have. Replace as needed.

Maxima has a silicon spray that makes anything on your bike look new again. It is great on black plastic. The stuff also smells wonderful!

I like to focus on one spot on my bike per night. Maybe the rear wheel, whatever. Detail that all I can, then move on to something else. I ride my bike weekly. The 97 YZ I own looks like it rolled off the showroom floor.

The maxima recommendation is from someone who HAS been treated for OCD. The medication the DR.s perscribe is a great help for him. Be careful if you are feeling like you HAVE to keep your bike spotless.

I have a friend who ended up trading his brand new Toyota Tundra truck in. He accidnetally got it stuck in a mud pit. he ended up losing almost 5 grand by trading the truck off. He had owned it three weeks. Despite spending nearly 100.00 at a coin car wash, he was not able to sleep, work, or function knowing mud MAY be hiding under the truck frame.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
The Kawi is a solid little bike, but the KTM 125's are fast (faster than the KX). Rumour has it that the suspension is much improved for '05 (always a black mark against the KTM's in the past). I'd wait a little until some of the verticts are out, though.

Will you cut faster laps on the SX than the KX? Probably not, but you only live once. If I were on the market for a new 125, I'd either go for an '05 YZ or SX (and hope I didn't lament for the return of my old KX) :eek:

May you reach Dirt Bike Nirvana. :cool:

Last edited:

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
HOnda's will always look newer than steel framed bikes. There's no paint to rub off on aluminum frames. Red was also found to show these least amount of wear. Orange being very close. Thats why Hondas and KTM look nice. I bet the new YZ AF will look much better than other YZ's. Also with the new Suzuki AF too. Blue is the worst color for some reason. I've had black b4 and it never got white streaks.

I have looked "closely" at my buddies Honda's and they show all the same wear as my YZ just the red and AF don't show farther away.

Jeffro426

Mar 16, 2003
Ive always kept my bike in pristine condition...they get scrubbed down after every ride, dryed, then polished up with plexus. Once a year, i tear my bikes down to nuts and bolts(usually durring the cold winter months) and have the frame sandblasted and painted, grease up and lube everything that needs it and pretty much give it a ground up restoration. My 01 426 that i traded in looked like it litterally rolled off the showroom floor. It may be just a dirt bike thats meant to get dirty, but i take great pride in keeping my toys like new.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Until I switched to Honda, I would always have my frames powder coated. It holds up MUCH better than the factory paint, and can make a ratty bike look new again.

New plastics are cheap and also work wonders.

-pace

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
bclapham said:
I dont beleive what I am reading- its a dirtbike- if you guys want something to polish, polish yer rocket....

:rotfl:

syko

Jan 10, 2004
You guys are all right!
it is sad that I am so obsessive about my bike.
I do take a lot of pride in it, I can't help but blame all the pro's who every race come on the track with a bike that looks like they just bought it and race gear to match.
I know that these guys don't have to pay for anything and i guess i just wanna live that dream but will probably never be good enough to get sponsored new bikes and gear.

anyway, i looked at my bike and really i am being stupid, from 10 feet away it looks immaculate it's just when i go over it bit by bit i notice all the little scratches and marks and suddenly i start ordering replacement parts. stupid huh?!

I think with the kawi, it's just the frame that kinda spoils it's look. i would say that i am very agressive rider and my limbs are flapping all over the place on the bike when i ride hard which means my frame really takes a beating. however i found a good and cheap fix for this.

go to some DIY store and you know those vinyl sticky back kitchen floor tiles. get them in grey or black, cut them to shape and stick em on your scratched frame. it makes it look new and it looks pretty trick, the black on the grey frame looks cool and they don't come off from riding, jet washing or chemicals (petrol, wd40 etc) and then when you do peel em off the sticky residue comes of really really easily and each tile cost about 50 pence and you can redo most of the frame 2 or 3 times over with one tile.

just a quick tip i discovered.

PINGERS4LIFE

Jun 2, 2004
i am about the same way i like my bike to be clean but when i get to a riding spot everyone asks me if it is new i am like nah it is a 99 hahha but i got all white plastics andi use a brillo pad to clean them i even unbolt the fenders and clean under them i take the shrouds off to clean behind side number plates and clean them basically i take and rip all the plastics off and then i use purple power to clean my motor swingarm and i use brillo pad wit it good to have some rubber gloves after the plastics dry i use vinyl floor wax it brings the shine to it

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The pro bikes are pretty amazing. I watched them at a muddy supercross here in Salt Lake two years ago. The plastic was replaced every time the rider would get off of the bike. A powerwasher was used as well.

The mechanics would go to the point of drying the lever pivots with compressed air.

trailboy125

Aug 24, 2004
yes i like working on mi bike fixin it but dirtyness in my mind is like a battle mark it tells the story of the bike and gives it a personality. or mayb im just a weirdo

Feb 28, 2004
I wouldnt mind replacing my plastic every now and then if it got crappy looking, but then you have to redo the graphics yourself? I would imagine that would be a real pain in the butt to try and put a sticker on perfectly straight and with no air bubbles trapped underneath?? Which is why Im trying to take the best possible care of my factory plastic and graphics. Yamaha should sell their plastic with the graphics attached already, for each year. It would make it so much easier. I like the factory look, I think it looks cool just the way it is. :cool: Mike :)

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Graphics are pretty easy to apply if you are patient, take your time, and make sure you do it in a clean environment with clean hands.

If you like the stock look - most of the aftermarket graphics companies make copies of the OEM graphics, cut in heavier vinyl which holds up better than the factory crap.

-pace

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Racer X posted the factory maintenace schedule for the pro bikes awhile back (wish I still had it!). It detailed everything that is done to the bike each race. It was pretty insane...mucho bux and I wouldn't mind taking some of that 1 race old plastic and throwing it on my bike!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
This issue is a double edged sword. After shelling out mucho dinero (4-6K) I can see why we want them to look new forever and it also makes maintenance much easier. A little dirt around a spark plug hole and you are having your head machined for new threads cause they got stripped, etc. On the other hand get over it they are dirt bikes not chromed out triumphs. I'm a clean freak, perfectionist, organizer and my son's are the anti of this. Here's what I do to keep my bikes looking factory aftyer we thrash them at the mx: Hose down twice to realease mud, no pressure washers allowed. Spray the entire bike with a liquid tide mixture (this is about a cup to 3 gallons water in a pump-up sprayer). This stuff eats through the film and makes tire look new again. Then I was the bikes by hand with whatever dishsoap my wife has. I use goo-gone to get rid of spooge spots and other nasty oils. Wash these areas again. Then rinse, only dry the outside quickly with an old towel from one of the hotels I stayed in at various nationals. Then spray down chain and all exposed metal with WD-40. Done. If I get bored before a race or ride I spray all the plastic with lemon pledge (a major MC mechanic training center teaches this to remove oil stains, finger prints, etc.) and polish it up. A can will last for years, I do three bikes so I know. It also helps release mud and makes plastic look new (er), LOL. I wait unitl the plastic is about to fall off and then I buy new stuff, I only like factory symbols so I get what I can aftermarket and go to the dealer for the little oddball ones. I just put a new back fender on my son's 04 YZ250 and got the "YZ250" grapics from Yamaha (you can't tell it's not factory). Anyway, I spend minimal time, minimal money, and the bikes are clean, ready to work on between motos, and ready to rip when the call comes in. They all have battle scars and I'm ok with that. :ride:

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i used to clean my bike so much, like every ride and every 3-4 rides i would strip the airbox sub tank etc and clean.. not anymore though, i make sure my air filter and inside the air box is clean and just give the bike a hose down after i ride... like once a month ill go over it with soap now, i dont ride in mud anymore so it doesnt get bad

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom