GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
I just talked to a lady at the Sam Houston National Forest office and she told me that they now have 80 miles of well marked trails.......wow..... The forest is approx. 60 or so miles North of Houston on Interstate 45.

I am interested in getting a ride together at some point, possibly leaving home on a Friday about 2 pm and camping until Tuesday or so. I realize that is a good 4 or so hours away for some of us but I'm thinking a 3 or 4 day trip with camping and all would be great. I have been by there recently and the tall pine trees and such were beautiful.

The lady told me that spark arrestors are required but no ATV safety sticker is needed for dirt bikes.

I asked her to send me info. and maps and she said that she would get them in the mail.

Anyone interested?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
GhostRider32 said:
Anyone interested?

Quite likely, depending on the weekend. From what I have heard you can probably ride the entire system in one day though. I'm more inclined to Friday evening through Sunday afternoonish.

I have a friend from Houston that rides there all the time that can probably be coerced into coming up and maybe one more guy that is from Houston that went to DW.

November is bad, early December might work. You can ride there 12 months a year. It might be a good "First Ride of 2005"

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I may be interested depending on the timing. The winter time is the best for that hot muggy area anyways. May be throw in some mud and cool weather. I am ready.

November 5 to Dec 5 is out. I will lose my helper for a month at work and will be on my own. I will be lucky to get a 2 day weekend off. A 3 day weekend? Not likely.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Sounds interesting, my riding area has been Muenster for the last 30 years (has it really been that long?)

Is there room for a camper there?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
More information than you probably wanted,and here is the rest.

Sam Houston National Forest

The Sam Houston National Forest, one of four National Forests in Texas, is located 50 miles north of Houston. The forest contains 163, 037 acres between Huntsville, Conroe, Cleveland and Richards, Texas. With land in Montgomery, Walker, and San Jacinto counties, the Sam Houston National Forest is intermingled with privately owned timber lands and small farms.

The district ranger's office is located three miles west of New Waverly on FM 1375.

CLIMATE

Summers in the Sam Houston National Forest are hot and humid and winters generally are short and mild. The average summer temperature is 83°F, but mid-summer temperatures often reach the upper 90's. The average winter temperature is 53°. Rarely do temperatures drop to less than 10° or rise to over 110°. The average rainfall is 44 inches. Normally dryer periods occur during September – October and February – March.

RECREATION

“NEWLY OPENED” Cagle Recreation Area is located along the shoreline of Lake Conroe on the west fork of the San Jacinto River. Cagle is a new campground with full service hook-ups. It has a boat ramp with large parking lot, 48 camping spurs with electric, fresh-water & sewer connections, hot showers with restrooms, lakeshore hiking & bicycle trails, wildlife viewing, Lake Conroe boating and water sports, fishing, a picnic area overlooking Lake Conroe, shoreline wading & swimming, 85 miles of ORV, equestrian and mountain bike trails close as well as 129 miles of hiking on the Lone Star Hiking Trail. This area is covered with beautiful large pine and hardwood trees plus thousands of colorful wildflowers. Mid February redbud tree blossoms followed by dogwood tree blossoms in early March are a spectacular outdoor flower show.

Cagle is five (5) miles west of Interstate 45 on state road FM-1375 at New Waverly, Texas.

Kelly Pond Recreation Area and Multi-use Trailhead is located west of Interstate 45 approximately eight (8) miles along FM-1375 west of New Waverly. This site offers close locations to the multi-use (dirt bike, equestrian & mountain bike) trails and Lone Star Hiking Trail and has a restroom available. Picnic tables and campsites with lantern post and grills are available. Kelly Pond offers more primitive camping experience and is surrounded by Sam Houston National Forest and all it’s splendor.

Multi-use Trails – Driving off-road vehicles (dirt bikes & small 4-wheelers) and horseback riding re two of the many popular recreational uses of the Sam Houston National Forest. Special trails have been designated and developed for these multiple uses include ORVs, equestrian & mountain bikes.

These trails are loop trails that return to the starting point. Trailheads have been located to give users a logical starting point and a parking area for vehicles. Camping is prohibited on the trail and in parking areas.

ORV use is restricted to the designated multi-use trails. Trail direction is marked with red arrows. Pipelines, powerlines, and other utility rights-of-way are closed to ORV use; however, crossing of these rights-of-way is permitted at designated locations.

ORV enthusiasts are encouraged to seek further information and contact the local district ranger's office at telephone number 888/361-6908 (toll free) concerning operating conditions and areas open to vehicular traffic. These trails are closed after rainfall to protect soils, reduce erosion and protect sensitive fish in the area. Telephone menu messages provide open and closed trails information 24 hours a day.

Operating conditions enforced under the Code of Federal Regulations prohibit the following:

(a) Operating any vehicle, including any off-road vehicle: 1. Without a valid license as required by state law; 2. With an internal or external combustion engine not equipped with a properly installed spark arrestor or exhaust system; 3. Without an operable braking system, or properly installed and working exhaust system; 4. From one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise unless equipped with working head and tail lights; 5. In violation of any applicable noise emission standard established by any federal or state agency. If standards overlap, the most stringent will govern. (b) Driving any vehicle, including off-road vehicles: 1. In excess of posted or established limits on speed, load, weight, length, or width; 2. While under the influence of alcohol or drugs; 3. In violation of state law; 4. In a manner that creates excessive or unusual noise or smoke; 5. Carelessly and without regard for the safety of others; 6. In a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property 7. In a manner creating excessive damage or disturbance of land, wildlife, or vegetation resources.

and the BEST reason we should wait until the after the New Year

Hunting - The entire Sam Houston National Forest is designated as a wildlife management area through a cooperative agreement between Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the U.S. Forest Service. This special designation provides benefits to those who use the Sam Houston National Forest, including hunters, and to the wildlife that live or forage there. Extra fees paid by hunters who use wildlife management areas are collected by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and are returned to the Forest Service for use in those areas. These funds pay for a variety of programs to improve wildlife habitat and other enhancement programs such as wild turkey restoration, creation of wildlife openings and additional law enforcement. They can also be used to gather and analyze data to improve wildlife habitat. Those who wish to hunt deer or small game in the Sam Houston National Forest must purchase the appropriate wildlife management area hunting permit available where state hunting license are sold. Hunters and those who accompany them must wear hunter orange while hunting with a firearm in the Sam Houston National Forest. Hunters and fishermen are required to have a Texas license and follow State regulations.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I'll go if I can, but I'll be out most of December with a couple of minor surgeries. Well, a sex change isn't that minor, but in my case . . . Anyway, I like the SH Forest; rode the enduro there last year. It's fun when the sand is damp. Lots and lots of sandy whoops and roots across the trail, not too much change in elevation, but it's still fun. Roger hates it, but I thought it was like a long motocross without jumps.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
It's the perfect place for testing your supension... roots o' plenty and flat as a pancake... did I mention ROOTS?! The Caney Creek enduro is held there every year.

cdcracing

Jan 2, 2004
JMD said:
I'll go if I can, but I'll be out most of December with a couple of minor surgeries. Well, a sex change isn't that minor, but in my case . .
Things that make you go UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
. Roger he is all yours .

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
For a man, the worst part of the sex change operation isn't when they cut off your Rodney, it's when they stick that big needle in your ear and suck out half your brain. OK, ladies. Flame on.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
GhostRider32 said:
Hey guys, how does late February or early March sound for this trip?

February 17th ~ February 21st - Reno Ride at Moonrocks :yeehaw:
March 11th ~ March 13th - Recreational Leadership Training Course by Del Albringht in Dallas

The above weekends are out for me.

Don't work the weekend around my schedule. I want to go if I can, but the above are already spoken for.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Feb 11 ~ 13 is a bad one as it is the last weekend before I leave for Reno on Wednesday morning.

I already have the following days/weekends messed up with stuff. Other than these I am open.

Jan 14th - meeting during the day (could leave late afternoon)
Jan 28th and 29th - Board meeting in Odessa

Feb 12th ~ 13th - Wrap up and load for Reno
Feb 16th ~ Feb 21st - Reno

Mar 11th ~ 13th - Recreational Leadership Training Course (maybe)

I know your weekends get set by work, so if we can match up any other than the ones above, I will make it work.

If others want to go the 11th ~ 13th, don't not go because of me.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I never know for sure until the last day. If there is a date set, I will use my best weasle tatics and try to take off.

"My wife ran into a manure truck last night and I have to dig her out"

That sounds too realistic. They might even believe that.

The CNCC race is end of January so no problem there.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
This would be cool. I more than likely will forget about this thread but could someone email me when some dates are set? christopher.farmer[at]spansion.com I won't make any garuantees that I'll make it, but I need to get out and ride a little more. :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Might want to lose that paddle tire first.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Green Horn said:
but I need to get out and ride a little more. :)

Same here,maybe I could also get a kitchen pass! :ride:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Patman said:
Might want to lose that paddle tire first.

Ya think? :moon: Changing out tires is the EASY part. It's getting the time/ getting off my butt and going that takes more effort. :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Green Horn said:
Ya think? :moon: Changing out tires is the EASY part. It's getting the time/ getting off my butt and going that takes more effort. :)
Might as well just pay somebody to pick the bike up haul it to the shop for the treads to get swapped then bring it back for ya'. I'll do it for $200 plus $0.50/per mile and a 15% markup on all shop costs. :cool:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Patman said:
Might as well just pay somebody to pick the bike up haul it to the shop for the treads to get swapped then bring it back for ya'. I'll do it for $200 plus $0.50/per mile and a 15% markup on all shop costs. :cool:

Don't you have better things to do like go post over in that gay-ass "Patman's Christmas Song" thread?? :rotfl:

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
Couple of things guys. I have been riding there since 1975.
Although lately been going to private leases. Would love to meet with ya'll and have a good ride. For the average rider doing all the trails in one day would be tough. Plus unless you have street legal bikes would have to change trailheads.

But the biggest thing is to call ahead as they close the trails at the first hint of moisture. Long trip for ya'll for nothing.
936-344-6205 x2. There is a toll free # but I don't have it.
I am riding the enduro at Sidewinders the 13th but free the w/e of the 20th.

Any questions on trails or camping ect, let me know.

Rob

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
woodsguy2000 said:
Although lately been going to private leases. Would love to meet with ya'll and have a good ride. For the average rider doing all the trails in one day would be tough. Plus unless you have street legal bikes would have to change trailheads.

But the biggest thing is to call ahead as they close the trails at the first hint of moisture. Long trip for ya'll for nothing.

Rob

Hey Guys don't pass up letting Rob show you around, he knows his stuff and he's a good rider.
Rob, see ya' on the 13th, row 27, I'll be there! :yeehaw:

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
woodsguy2000 said:

Rob

I'd like to get a little campout trip for 2 or 3 days sometime between April 8th thru April 17, although other dates are possible. Would you be able to go then? I'd love to get a guided tour of the trails. :) Anyone else wanting to go is certaintly welcome in my book.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom