80 MPH scary on knobies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
Just got a speedometer for my KDX and just had to see how fast of a top speed I have. After 60 I was getting scared and really not wanting to go any faster but I had to see just what I could get out of it. Pulled nice to about 55-60 and climbed slow after 60 and at 80 was all I could get out of it. I don’t think I could have made it go any faster even if it was going down hill with a tail wind. Don’t think I’ll do it again because I get more of a rush finding the most aggressive rutted, rocky narrow hell trails than top speed, but now I know how fast I can go if pushed. This is a stock bike other than 12 tooth counter, boyesen reeds, jetting, and air box lid removed.

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000

Try tilting your full face helmet doing 80 :p

the wind will catch the visor and snap your head off :p

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
I'm with Braahp. You should recalibrate your speedometer. You must have the tire size wrong or something.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
'Carvr and I ran ours up around 72mph (GPS) on thick squirly gravel last year

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
My stone stock 220 did 71.9 mph on my GPS. I'd guess a higher reving / lower geared 200 would do right around the same, low 70's. Are you guys required to run DOT tires in Canada? Just something I was wondering....

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
It’s a Speedo from Baja Designs that plugs right into the factory cable, factory front tire and it was on pavement. Don’t know how accurate the speedo is but it read 80mph and that was enough for me. I really doubt if the 12 tooth lost any top speed because the bike just seemed to run out of power after 65 or so. I don’t think that the 13 tooth would go any faster because the bike seemed like it was pushing the wind too much and couldn’t push anymore.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A 13T CSS sprocket will run one heckuv'a lot faster than a 12T CSS.

If you got 80mph out of a calibrated (just 'plugging it in' doesn't count) speedo on a 12T'd KDX, you have a fast one.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
my 200 with ICO computer and 13t sprocket is usually good for about 77mph.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Wait. How much do you weigh? I think I see the reason coming as to why I only got 70 mph on both my bikes! :-)

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
Boy I don't know if your speedo is whacky or what but I could never get 80mph out of my '01 KDX 200 with those sprockets, my bike, with stock everything (airbox lid off and jetted correctly) would only do around 65-70, and that was with a 13 tooth front.... the 12 makes it slower yet (but torquier)...

I don't have the Boysen reeds, but I can't see them making the redline on my machine that much higher.... I think something is screwy with your equation (most likely the calibration on your speedo)... either that or the bike I checked my speed with is pretty far off (it was a stock DRZ400)

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
JasonWho said:
Wait. How much do you weigh? I think I see the reason coming as to why I only got 70 mph on both my bikes! :-)

Weight doesn't affect top speed, only accelleration. Of course, if you are running on a soft surface or are big enough to change the aerodynamics than you can slow your bike down. But just weight alone won't change that.

Just wanted to point that out because it's a common misconception.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
I think weight does affect top speed. Weight puts a load on the engine, no matter what RPM. How did you come to the conclusion that it didn't?

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
canyncarvr said:
A 13T CSS sprocket will run one heckuv'a lot faster than a 12T CSS.

If you got 80mph out of a calibrated (just 'plugging it in' doesn't count) speedo on a 12T'd KDX, you have a fast one.

I wouldn't know anything about calibrating the speedo, baja designs told me that it'd be fairly accurate out of the box but I wouldn't trust it to be 100% on. The reason I got it is just so I wouldn't go through a speed trap not having any Idea how fast I was going.

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004

I am just telling you what the speedo read, I couldn't tell you how accurate it is, although baja designs told me that it would be fairly accurate (for what ever that is worth)

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
I paced two of my ridding budies and a YZ 125 went 65mph and a YZ250 went 60 (due to lower gearing) and I left both bikes behind

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
GPS is the best way to get an accurate speed check (there are too many open loop variables with a wheel diameter/gear driven dependent systems...) with a <14ft resolution gps, your speed will be accurate to at least 1/10 mph. Also you can see what exits are coming up in case you have to dive off the freeway to avoid Highway Patrol during testing! (just kidding)

See if you can borrow one and you can calibrate/recalibrate your speedo as well :)

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000

My bike tops out at 75mph on oiled roads w/ a calibrated speedo. But I only weigh a little over 100lbs.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
for starters, whether or not weight affects top speed is dependant on several variables, the most important, I would think, would be whether or not you were able to GET to the redline at both weights.... if so, there is no difference in top speed, only in acceleration.

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that this rider was able to redline his bike by his speaking of it not making any more power no matter how long he stayed on the throttle and his refference to this high of a speed (dusting the YZ's). That being the case, it would go faster with a bigger CS sprocket on it.

Perhaps his bike is poorly set up and won't redline his weight though... in which case a larger CS sprocket may actually make the bike slower because it can't get up to the same RPM with his weight. If that's the case, I doubt even more that he got it up to 80mph, meaning his speedo is further off than I suspected.

I suggest calibrating your speedo, because I think those speeds on your setup are likely impossible without destroying your motor. The speedo won't help you much if it is off by a substantial amount, and it sounds like it is.

And then there is the question. Why would you run a 12 CS on a bike you use on the road? Even if it will do 80 now, it will do it easier with a 13 or better yet 14 on it. (given the aforementioned faulty bike setup is not to blame)

Oh, and not only is 80mph on knobbies on tar scary, it can be downright dangerous at times, ride safely when youre clocking your bike. There could be little worse than injuring yourself while testing your bike.

Take care, and check that speedo for us so we aren't all wondering what the heck we are doing wrong with our bikes.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Top speed is determined by the forces acting against it, wind resistance (drag) and rolling resistance (this is assuming you don't run out of gear, in which case top speed would be determined by the engines max rpm and gearing). Now, a huge rider on soft dirt will slow down the bike, but that's because the drag and rolling resistance will be increased. If riding on pavement or very hardpacked dirt and the riders somehow have the same drag coefficient than top speed will be exactly the same.

Weight (mass) only affects accelleration (Accelleration = Force / Mass). It takes a hell of a lot longer to get topped out if the bike is hauling 300 lbs instead of 120 lbs. Because accelleration is slower doesn't mean it stops sooner.

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004

Blah blah blah, if you read my post I said that I trail ride with this bike it's hardly ever on the street, I don't ever care to go that fast ever again and I don't really care if the bike didn't go 80 that is just what the speedo said. I have a 12T because it works best for me on the trails

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
no need to be snotty. I WAS trying to help you out and give you some advice. I can see it doesn't matter.

YOU are the one who refferences your speed as an unreasonable amount, not me. You should at least attempt to be accurate when posting something like this, and you should expect corrections when you so obviously are incorrect.

Don't expect any more advice from me. I don't make a habit of helping people who are arogant jerks about their misinformation. I'm sure your arogance won't let that bother you one bit, so we will both be better off.

Good day

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004

I am not being an ignorant jerk, I just don't want to be preached to about what can happen at those speeds, besides it seemed like you didn't even read the post because your asking me why I run a 12T and in my post I said I mostly trail ride.

I am telling you how fast my speedo read, and I am not lieing about that, I do not know for sure how accruate it reads though.

Mark W

May 12, 2004
Weight Does matter on Top end speed

Go to the extremes. Say you had 1000 lbs on the bike - do you think you would ever reach redline no matter how long a stretch of road you had to work with?

Mark W

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
Mark W said:
Go to the extremes. Say you had 1000 lbs on the bike - do you think you would ever reach redline no matter how long a stretch of road you had to work with?

Mark W

This is what I was thinking. If something is heavier it has to work harder to achieve top speeds. The motor can't always handle the extra load to achieve top speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…