alienturtle

Feb 23, 2006
hey guys first post here whats up. i have an old 1980 suzuki rm60. it was given to me for doing some work and its my first bike. i am having some problems with it running. i have had the entire engine apart and replaces a bad bearing in it. put a new spark plug in it and it starts up and runs just fine shifts idles all that good stuff. then after about 15-20 min it starts to bog out really bad and at full throttal it doesnt want to move. it stalls and i cant do a darn thing to get it started again. i pulled the plug and it is black and wet like its all fouled out. i can clean the plug and it will start up but after about 5sec it dies and the plug is wet and black again. the only way i can get it to run again is a new plug but after 15-20 min if running it just foules out the plug again. any ideas??

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
I doubt it is an ignition problem. If the bike fires back up with a fresh plug immediately after dieing, then it is highly unlikely the ignition is at fault. If the ignition was to blame, you would have weak or no spark with a fresh plug after it had died.

What you are experiencing is plug fouling due to rich carburetor jetting. The plug becomes fouled with oil and carbon, and cannot spark correctly to fire the engine. The only solution is to jet the bike correctly to your riding conditions and the demands you place upon the bike.

alienturtle

Feb 23, 2006
i got it back out today and went bought a new plug for it. i was running a b8hs plug and told him i needed a hotter plug. he gave me a b7hs plug and i didnt even relize it. so i put that plug in it and moved that little clip on the thottal up to the middle slot. it ran pritty good. we were ridding prob a couple hrs but sometimes when taking off its still really boggy and loads up but i was able to clear it out and go again. and at high speeds it would like cut out. so i turned that air screw counter clockwise and richend it a bit then we went home so i didnt get a chance to try it again. i think i can move that clip up 1 more slot and it should be good. i am running 20:1 just like it says on the fuel tank sticker. seems like a lot i know

alienturtle

Feb 23, 2006
today was another story. i moved that throttal clip up 1 more so its on the 2nd notch from the top. i got it started and idleing but just bogged all down when u tryed to go. all day i tryed messing with it and just bogged down seemed like it was really rich still. so i moved that clip back down and it did the same thing so idk whats rong with it

Top Bottom