hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
in the past 2 125s I have had I used 10w30 and 10w40 also ATF which i currently use in the kawi. I used to use the gear saver but thats like diff fluid for a tractor way to thick btw atf is one ride oil only.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
hot125mod said:
in the past 2 125s I have had I used 10w30 and 10w40 also ATF which i currently use in the kawi. I used to use the gear saver but thats like diff fluid for a tractor way to thick btw atf is one ride oil only.
What? :coocoo:

The Gearsaver and other oils labeled Transmission oils are blended differently. They don't need the cold flow ability of an ENGINE oil hence the different viscosity rating. They are roughly the same warm viscosity of a 40w engine oil.

As long as the stuff is for motorcyle transmissions you'll be fine. I actually run the Pro Honda HP Trans Oil in the CRF tranny and it seems to work great. Comes out a bit less grey than engine oil, but it also goes in red. The gear oil for differentials is MUCH thicker.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
skipa said:
so pro honda hp trans oil 80w is the best to use in crankcase?not 10w40

Not to pick nits, but your crankcase is lubed by your pre-mix on a CR125.

Since you are asking about your transmission, it should be fine with either 80w or 10w-40.

In my experience, most two stroke gear boxes are not very finicky. I've run ATF, 10w30, 10w40, 80w and 90w gear oil with no ill effects. Beside stiff shifting in cold weather when the motor was cold with 90w, you would be hard pressed to tell any difference on most bikes.

But when in doubt, use what your manual says.

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
hot125mod said:

I run ATF in my Rm 125 and only change it every 6 hours or so. Does that mean I'm hurting my transmission?

jake760

Jun 1, 2008
80w gear saver or similar is not too thick. Gear oils go by a different viscosity scale than motor oils. I use Rotella T 15w-40 diesel oil in all of my 2 stroke transmissions. I also run it in my truck, lawnmower, just about anything. It's good stuff, probably better than what the dealer gives you, and you can't beat the price and availability. :cool:
BTW, I change it after every day out riding, or after 2 or 3 short rides.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Although more info can be easily found by searching first, I have been using BelRay 75W oil in all of my 2-strokers for years with zero ill effects. In fact, it is better that trying to get away with auto parts store 10W30. Choosing the right oil requires a little bit more than just reading the numbers.

Top Bottom