pensr6

Dec 18, 2008
I picked up this IT a few months ago with a scored piston. I went with the first over oem piston and replaced all the seals at the same time.The problem is that the bike will not rev up past idle.I replaced both source coils with Ricky Stator coils,replaced the ignition coil,and tried a used cdi that came from a good running bike I was told. The timing is right on at idle but when I open the throttle it fires 180 degrees off.I have not replaced the pulser coil,but it checks out at13.6 ohms.The bike has dual stage reeds in good condition and the carb is right.Any one have any ideas? Also does anyone know how to test the cdi,ohm readings? Can the pulser coil act this way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
well it can't be running at 180 out, that would mean the spark is happening at bottom center. When you used the ohmmeter did you wiggle the wires too make sure that there isn't a intermittent problem that doesnt happen under vibration ?heat?

double check wiring hookups clean/tight properly hooked up ,color coded ,grounds clean and tight. unfortunately the usual test for a cdi is that everything else checks out ok. usual troubleshooting flow chart for ignitions such as yours is No spark, check plug,check plug wire, check engine kill switch,check wiring/contacts and grounds,check resitance of coil,check resistance of stator,replace cdi

If the bike is timed statically right and it runs then the timing gets radically off the wall(easy to check with timing light and the ignition cover off) with rpm I suspect the wires arent hooked up proper or the cdi crapped out

pensr6

Dec 18, 2008
I had a timing light on the rotor and it fires on the mark at idle but when I try to rev it itfires 180 off.It idles good,but give it any throttle and it just bogs and smokes.I have talked to Mike at Rickys,and he said the pulser coil might be acting up,but he has not seen them go bad,plus it ohms out right.I am lost at this point,I would try another pulser if I could find one. I guess the other cdi could be bad also.

pensr6

Dec 18, 2008
Yes I have checked and double checked all the wires and grounds. They are all hooked up correctly.I figured it was the the cdi,so I got another one on Ebay,said to be from a good running bike,but I quess it could be bad also.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
where are you at? I beleive I have a bunch of YZ 465/490 parts not really interested in selling but just might be willing to lend to help troubleshoot

pensr6

Dec 18, 2008
I live in Pensacola.I would like to try another cdi that was known to be good.Both of the ones I have act the same.I would send them to someone with a running bike to try them for me,if they would be so kind. The number on the cdi is 3R5.

Top Bottom