bailout

May 22, 2005
Hey, i have an 82 kdx 175... just wondering what I need to run the headlight and taillight... seems like i'm missing a regulator or rectifiter... and i dont see anything on buykawasaki.com?

any ideas?

Thanks

Benesesso

May 11, 2005
I'm just finishing my street-legal conversion for my 1986 KDX200. Back then Kawasaki didn't use either a regulator OR a rectifier! What they did was to use a very puny 6 volt AC lighting coil mounted inside the flywheel. Such a system allows the AC voltage to vary all over the place depending on RPM and electrical load. Lights off, it will make some fairly high voltage. But with a headlight bulb load, the voltage drops rapidly.
I bought a "full-wave" bridge rectifier from Radio Shack for ~$3 and a small 6 volt sealed lead/acid battery. The coil will now charge the battery if the revs are up a little, while the battery helps prevent high voltages from burning out the bulbs. I am just now testing this setup, and I may find I still need a voltage regulator. If so, Radio Shack has them pretty cheap.

kawikdx250

Nov 25, 2004
Benesesso said:
I bought a "full-wave" bridge rectifier from Radio Shack for ~$3 and a small 6 volt sealed lead/acid battery. The coil will now charge the battery if the revs are up a little, while the battery helps prevent high voltages from burning out the bulbs. I am just now testing this setup, and I may find I still need a voltage regulator. If so, Radio Shack has them pretty cheap.

Good idea. Was considering just small pack of rechargable batteries for mine, also LED tail so they won't burn out under vibration.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom