jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
It seems most of the threads on 125 main jet size discuss sizes in the 170 to 190 range. My 82 RM 125 came from the factory with a 270 main and a 30 pilot. I have removed both jets from my carb, but I cannot read the stamping. I am assuming it is stock, but Im not sure. The manual suggested 20:1 mix ratios back then and i am attempting to run synthetic oil at 32 or 34:1. I ran the bike yesterday at 34:1 and I had an incredible amount of oil spitting out of the pipe. The bike was bogging and not revving as it should. The bike has new Wiseco piston and Boyesen Power Reeds. I realize that I need to rejet. I understand that jetting depends on many different factors, such as rider weight, weather conditions, etc. Where do I start with jetting? Should I start with a 190 jet, or a 260 jet? How much incremental difference do you get from moving a size down? I have a YZ400F and the RM 125 burned about 2 to 3 times more fuel for the same amount of riding.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
on the top of the two stroke page you have many links to know how to jet your bike...
you should start by read it all :yikes:

only one step on the main jet should give you a very noticeable increase in performance, if your bike is that bad... good luck... :cool:

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I have read several of the threads and links provided on jetting. I am just not clear on how much impact 1 size up or down will have. How are all of these newer bikes running 170-190 main jets? I have a 270 main.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
That is a good point...maybe I am comparing a mikuni to a kehin. I just bought a 260 main jet that I will install tonight.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
even carburettors from the same brand will have different way to mark the jets...
when i bought my cr80 i put 2 step smaller main jet (from 125 to 120)... the first time i rode it i made a power weelie in 3rd as usual, but this time almost flip back... the power went up, as response and over rev...

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
That 260 main made a huge difference. Im not sure what size was in the carb, but it was visibly larger than the 260, so I think someone jetted it incorrectly. Im not sure it is dialed in, but it is much closer now. I ran the premix at 40:1 with the new jet, which still seems a bit thin, but I may experiment with 34 or 36:1 and see what happens.

Thanks for the help

Top Bottom