Sep 3, 2007
Just picked up a clean 84 XL200R from a family member.

Bike seems to have a few electrical problems. Namely, the turn signals do not work, neither do the 'indicators' on the 'dash board'. Rear Tail Light/Plate Assy is gone. Horn works so-so. Forks also in need of re-build. Ignition/key switch pretty much is non-functioning. Headlight is pretty weak. A stator upgrade may help this out? The motor seems to be the same as the XR200, so I have used that as a reference point.

I'd like to at least pick up a XR/CR-style rear fender and put on some sort of tail light, as well as find a knobby front to match the rear. I can't really find much, only Enduro or Trials tires.

Do you guys have any help/suggestions? Bike is/was mostly a trail rider. Not too concerned at the moment with road legality.

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
check the fuses and electrical connections for corrosion. also, turn signals may not work due to missing tail light assembly, for some bikes everything is a circut so if a bulb burns out, whol side wont flash or similar. for the tire try searching the metric equivilent for knobbies since most knobbys are in metric format and not old style standard inch anymore. you can find cheap fork seals off ebay and if your getting good spark, i'd leave alone the stator.

Sep 3, 2007
Well, the turn signals have not worked prior to the tail being gone. I am going to possibly just re-wire everything, after testing continuity through the switch.

Thanks for the tip on the knobbies, I'll have to scope that out. The only reason I considered a stator upgrade is I was planning on upgrading the headlight as well. I planned on doing a Hella or Cibie H4 Globe with a bi-xenon 35W kit with relay harness. I wasn't sure if the stock stator could handle firing up the ignitors.

Top Bottom