thejake456

Sep 24, 2007
i just got a 1985 cr250 off my friend for $300.00 and it needed some work but he didnt know what needed done to it. a couple days ago he was riding it and it over heated and shut off. it is leaking anti frease by the cylinder head. any idea of what can cause that or what might be wrong with it??

O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
Just a stab in the dark..

If it overheated one of the gaskets is now probably bad and leaking coolant.. youd need to replace those gaskets, check for coolant in your oil, and find out why it overheated in the first place so it doesnt do it again..

The experts Im sure will have more ideas :nod:

thejake456

Sep 24, 2007
it looks to me that there is new gaskets on it. i was maybe thinkin a cracked cylander head. but i dont know for sure. does anybody know a good sight that i might be able to get parts from.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
...a leaking head gasket will usually make the bike seize, which is what may have happened in your case (piston gets too hot and seizes).
There is too much to list but all very basic and easy to do with comon hand tools, AND a shop manual...there is going to be no other choice but to find/borrow a manual or take it to someone who is already savvy. You must figure out if the rings are stuck in their landings/seized, as well as why the head gasket was leaking in the first place. Be careful that you do not put good $$$ in a hole, as anything older than 10yrs is going to often be much more $$$ in OEM parts than a modern bike. My advice is to get it running on the cheap, ride it to make it last, save your $$$ and then add it to what you can get for this bike and buy you a much fresher bike for ~$1500. The absolute best Manual/educator I can recc is Eric Gorr; visit his site and buy his $20 manual---the only other person I "worship" is SuperHunky (he has some great money-saving articles on his site, offroad.net/dirtbike)...stick with it...! <g>

Top Bottom