85' KDX 200 Broke

onthefly

Aug 2, 2008
My son and I just spent allot of time; top end rebuild,forks,plastic,seals,carb ect. on his project bike..he took it out today and he said it started to knock then stall. I tore the top end down now the rod bearing is gone and new piston is done. I give up on this bike! He is heartbroken as most of his summer job $ is gone. Oh well..at least he wasn't hurt..only the wallet. Parting it out to re-coup some of the cost.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
Sorry for the hindsight info but you shoulda checked the rod for play and if even remotely suspect replaced

onthefly

Aug 2, 2008
The rod end play was fine. There was no verticle play at all. I suspect a crankcase seal but then who knows. Crank showed some heat color which meant it over heated first, then peeled the bearing ...mechanic said it could have been a number of things.I'd like to replace the engine. I was qouted 800-1000 to rebuild? I don't know if this is accurate. Anybody have one for sale?

podfish

May 14, 2007
I just bought an '88 KDX for $150 - I can't see paying $800 for a new engine in something that old! By the time I added an air filter, seals for the brake cylinder, etc, I maybe doubled its cost. This is my second KDX - so if it or its evil twin has a serious mechanical problem, one becomes the parts-bike for the other. I strongly recommend that as the best way to own older bikes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…