sarN

Apr 1, 2007
Hey guys, I'm rebuilding my XR to get it in good working condition. It runs great, starts 4th kick, but there are still a few things. Last year we rebuilt the motor, so I'm assuming internally all is well.

Oil leaks: It seems that there are 2 oil leaks on the motor.

One is by what look to be plugs(?), the two pieces above the RFVC that can be turned with an allen. They are on the left side of the bike (if you were sitting on it)

Another is where the clutch cable connects to the crankcase, it leaks out of the top area.

Could these just be bad o-rings / washers?
--------------------------------------------------
Another problem I have is that the clutch is much more difficult to pull in than any other bike I have been on.

I'm sorry I can't take pictures I'm at school but when I get back if you guys don't know what I'm talking about I can get some. Right now the crankcase is off and I have to file down the grooves on my clutch basket. Hopefully I will be riding soon!

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
ok thanks, yeah mine runs great just one of those annoying little things i guess. cant wait to get the gasket this week so i can start riding again!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
sarN said:
One is by what look to be plugs(?), the two pieces above the RFVC that can be turned with an allen. They are on the left side of the bike (if you were sitting on it)

Another is where the clutch cable connects to the crankcase, it leaks out of the top area.

Could these just be bad o-rings / washers?
--------------------------------------------------
Another problem I have is that the clutch is much more difficult to pull in than any other bike I have been on.
QUOTE]

sarN.

The two plugs are for the rocker arm shafts and they use copper washers. Replace the washers and make sure the plugs are tight. The clutch actuating arm uses a seal. Also make sure the little bearing on the actuating arm shaft is in good condition. If the bearing is worn or damaged it will cause a leak and possibly contribute to the hard working clutch problem.

Last edited:

iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
I once owned a 85 xr250 with RFVC, It was an amazing bike. However the carb issues I had made me sell it for I could not figure it out, and moved onward in the MX world (the xr is by far no MX bike). But I also had a YZ125 at the time and modified the cable holder on the XR to fit the YZ cable, The cable I used and loved for those machines was the T-2 from motion pro. It is teflon lined, and offers great action. But you could also invest in a cable luber, and just keep the cable and lever lubed up nicley. That helps alot also. Check the routing of the cable, that alot of times will make pulling the lever difficult.

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
thanks for the comments, i will try to get some copper washers for the plugs and get a rubber one that i can cut down and put around that clutch lever. Tomorrow is the moment of truth, i get my gasket for the crankcase, so i can see if i royally ****ed up grinding down the clutch basket or not.

irides: after this i will try what you said, because the lever really is a pain in the arse to pull in.

Top Bottom