86' and 88' KDX200

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Wow, very nice!

It's personal preference on the pipe. The FMF fatty is gonna be focused on top end power. The DG is probably going to be more focused on increasing power in the midrange. I would think of the DG as more of an "all around" upgrade. At any rate, I'm EXTREMELY happy with my DG, so that's all I can tell you. It's a few bucks cheaper, and I like to give some business to dirtoverstock when I can. They usually have some great deals on hard to find pieces.

If you're gonna ride any public places, or nat. forest, you're gonna need a spark arrestor. If not, then grab the DG. It's designed to be very quiet. It's comparable to the stock silencer if it was brand new or freshly cleaned and packed. I doubt you'd be able to find anything quieter in the aftermarket area. The stock silencer should be incredibly quiet if it's cleaned and repacked.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Those are the ones. If you dig around you can find them cheaper maybe. I got mine on ebay for 25 shipped. If you need them quick, 35 is about the goin rate, so yeah.

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
yeah i can't find anything cheaper lol i've been looking. i stilll don't know what to do about my carb. its definitely not right

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
the DG pipe doesn't come with the gaskets and its 25 bucks to ship. so i think i might have to go with the ebay pipe. i really want the low end though....

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
what should i do with my cylinder? there are a few scratches, nothing bad. i just got my wiseco piston kit

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
how bout some pics?

scratches ARE bad .... bet there on the intake side ..do you know if there is a sleeve in the cylinder or is it plated?

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
not too bad, i think its plated i'll get some pics up plated.. i'm pretty sure both my 86 and 88 have plated cylinders

just ordered DG pipe, DG silencer. full gasket set and a 12t pinion and boyeseen reeds.

i noticed my bottom end has some slop. how much is too much? i just wanna get it together and ride. its therod bearing there is no up or down sloop in the flywheel. idk i cant get the flywheel off

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
the big end rod will move side to side, you can measure the clearance with feeler gages to see how much you got between the rod and thrust surface there should be no up/down slop.

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
well i think i'll just it put it back together ans see what it sounds like. i don't want to get into the bottom end yet it looks like a bitch

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
KAWASAKI KDX200 ATHENA COMPLETE GASKET KDX 200 88-94
Item# 230400393528 $38.99 USD 1 $38.99 USD
KAWASAKI KDX200 FRONT SPROCKET 12 TOOTH KDX 200 84-06
Item# 250445263239 $10.99 USD 1 $10.99 USD
KAWASAKI KDX200 BOYESEN POWER REEDS KDX 200 ALL Years
Item# 360201333372 $32.99 USD 1 $32.99 USD

just bought that stuff from atvunlimited on ebay.

i went to get my cylider honed because of course my is gone and the dude wanted 30 bucks, is it worth it? but he is a professional so he should do a good job

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
If it's a plated cylinder, you really can't hone it. As far as I know it WILL be a plated cylinder in 86/88. If the crosshatch is gone or plating is worn out it will have to be re-plated. If he's a professional he would know this.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
ugh. :|

Good luck with it! Again, the factory plating is quite thin. If the cross hatching is worn away, it needs to be re-plated. You can get it done for about $150. Paying someone $30 to hone a plated cylinder would certainly be a waste of money.

Right from a kawi manual, so you know I'm not full of poo...

If any of the cylinder inside diameter measurements exceeds the service limit, the cylinder must be replaced with a new one since the ELECTRO FUSION cylinder cannot be bored or honed

Of course, these days we have some companies applying aftermarket plating to these cylinders which exceeds the quality of the factory plating by a considerable margin.

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
yeah i saw that in the manual. well as long as it lasts a year or two im happy

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
A pic of the cylinder would really help us know if you could have it lightly honed or not. Some people DO lightly hone plated cylinders, despite the fact that you are not supposed to. It's not something I personally would do or have done though. It has to be done with a ball hone. Your normal bore hone can catch the plating at the ports and chip it off.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
dave89b said:
yeah i saw that in the manual. well as long as it lasts a year or two im happy

If the cylinder is out of specs and scratched, then honed we can hope it lasts through the break-in and a few rides at best.

I do not expect my freshly bored (sleeved) cylinder and new piston to last me 2 years

I would be more comfortable with taking the money spent on a pipe that did not line up perfectly and investing it in a piston/cylinder that was properly done, but hey at least the little pieces of piston and whats left of the plating won't be able to escape out of a gap between the cylinder and pipe :whoa:

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
well, no clips in the mail today so i just couldnt wait any longer and threw it together with the old clips

it runs sweeet but still has that knock, maybe its just how they sound?

i need to do some carb work now because it still doesnt have the power i think it should. it still is really really impressive.

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
i lost the directions for the wiseco kit, how should i break it in? i've been following the procedure in the manual. i've put probably 10 miles on it tonnight

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
everything went as smooth as butter :) couldnt be happier. a few snags but everything slid right into place. i am especially confident i put the kips together right.

and the circlips took less than 10 minutes :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…