87 KDX200 Noise at idle???

FULL-THROTTLE

Oct 31, 2004
Hello,

I am looking for some advise/help, I have a 1987 KDX200 (the last of the air cooled), completely stock except a FMF Fatty pipe and an answer tip, at idle thru 2000 rpm's I can hear a ticking sound, (it sounds exactly like a lifter that needs to be adjusted on a four stroke,) after 2000rpms it goes away???????????.
The bike has great compression and runs 100% with a ton of power. It does have what appears to be an exhaust limiting valve assembly on the right side of the engine and this does actuate correctly.
I have ridden the bike this way for over a year but the sound has me baffled.any ideas or theorys would be appreciated

Fran

FULL-THROTTLE

Oct 31, 2004
I have been thru every nut and bolt on the bike and nothing is loose, I also pulled in the clutch while it was running and no change to the noise??? The sound is a very mild metal tapping noise

Thanks again for any input

FULL-THROTTLE

Oct 31, 2004
I have not pulled the clutch cover but the mechanism is working correctly, when I give it a good amount of throtttle the rod from the gearbox turns and the arm going into the head (and I assume exhaust) actuates. I assume this is a low rpm exhaust limiting mechanism??

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
My clutch makes noise if it is in or out.... tone changes a little, but not much. How long has it been making this noise? One thing you can do is get a mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint the source of the noise. These are cheap... $5 or so....

KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
Ive got the same problem with my 88 took it to a shop and they couldnt even find it so i guess im gonna ride it till it breaks then im gonna say "damn so thats what that tappin was"

FULL-THROTTLE

Oct 31, 2004
The local shop said it was piston slap, I pulled the head and jug and the piston was getting a little loose, so I'm going to put in a fresh set of piston and rings. I got lucky by checking it early the cylinder walls were fine and i'm still on the original/ standard size piston.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…