New KDX200 - Rattling Noise at Idle

rzinger

Sep 16, 1999
Canadian Dave and other KDX-perts:

Hi - I looked at a 2002 KDX200 yesterday - the owner had a change of plans and is selling it. The bike has 67 miles on the odometer.

Question: At idle, the engine rattles a good deal - sounds like a gear rattle type noise. It disappears right off idle. The motor runs smoothly and idles well.

The owner said the noise concerned him and the dealer stated it was the powervalve rattling and they all make that noise. My '89 KDX200 doesn't do it but it's a different powervalve system design.

Can anyone shed any light on whether this is a worry or not? Have others with late model KDXs had a similar experience with their bikes?

The bike is bone stock, and looks like a bike with 67 miles on the clock should.

Thanks in advance for any insight....

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
My bike rattles the same way. I bought my 2001 used and I have had not problems. I have already put 400 miles on it since December and it still runs strong. Just a heads up on the odometer. It only goes to 99 miles and you can reset the odometer. It is not like the older KDX's where it kept the actual milage. :debil:

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
I bought a 2001 KDX 200 in December from an ebay auction. When I uncrated and started it, I was alarmed by the amount of noise coming from the motor. I took the clutch cover off and inspected the clutch, waterpump, powervalve system, and everything else I could see. Assuming that the noise couldn't be the piston (how could it even run if the piston was making that much noise??), I settled on the main KIPS valve. I could take the pipe off and feel that thing move with my finger. I have since talked with other KDX owners and concluded 1) it is the powervalve and 2) I just have to live with it. GREAT bike, even if it sounds like a freakin' diesel...

KDX200Biker

Nov 22, 2001
I can tell u not to worry. i looked at 3 kdx's (1996 and up) before i bought mine(i had to pick the one with a bad linkage and clutch) but they all made the same sound.

rzinger

Sep 16, 1999
Thanks for all the feedback - re: the odometer, I realize it is resettable - the owner said he hadn't reset it since new - given it's a 2002, and the shape it's in, I believe it. MASS KDX, I'm in Sudbury (west of the city) - where do you ride? I do NH as well as Pachaug in CT. Haven't tried much in MASS as I'm new to the state....

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
Rzinger,

I ride locally only. I do not own a truck. :(
I wish I had a truck so I could transit my bike somewhere, but I enjoy the riding area I take for granted sometimes because it looks like they are going to be putting up businesses and apartment/condos sometime soon. So it looks like I will be buying a truck sooner than I thought.

rzinger

Sep 16, 1999
MASS KDX - if you want to try and ride together sometime, let me know. I'm new to the region and have been riding solo - don't get out a ton (new baby) but if you want to do a Saturday here and there let me know. I have a truck.

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
The power valves all seem to raddle. I found the best fix for my '96' is adding more oil to the trans. Take it up from the center to the top of the sight window and you'll be surprised what a difference it makes. Seems that the centrif. mechanism bangs around a lot and the higher oil level cushions it.

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
Rzinger, I too have a 02 KDX 200t. Mine has 60 miles on it. My bike also ratles. It is part of the character of owning a KDX. All things considered the KDX is probably one of the most reliable bikes out there.

Top Bottom