Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
I was wondering if I need this thing. It's on the left side of the swingarm and is between the chain and the tire. Mines completly destroyed and it's $50 canadian for a new one. I've noticed that no other bikes have them (the early kdx's did).

thanks

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
yes, it keeps the chain from derailing off the sprockets. you can get a fredette unit or just a replacement block from Moose.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
No, I think he means the chain guard that keeps mud off the chain, not the nylon block that keeps the chain off the swingarm. Right?

My bike should have one of these guards too, but it has been removed. You don't need to run it if you don't want to. They're just nice because they keep some of the crap off your poor old chain and sprockets, especially if you're riding in mud. I'm hoping to find a used one at the wreckers sometime. It's up to you.

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
Thanks for the replies. It is now in the garbage and ready for the dump. All it took was the bottom of it to bend a little, then the tire started grabbing it and ripped it to shreds.

dirtryder72

Jul 24, 2002
my 87 kdx 200 is gonna need that replaced soon the chain is starting to eat through it but one thing i noticed is that my chain is dangerously close to my tire so when it come time for a new one im gonna spend the cash just to be safe i dont want my chain catching on my tire and then ill be stuck it the woods with a mess

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom