89 - 94 kdx200 vs. 95+ kdx 200

jon08

Apr 17, 2005
i have made the desicion to get the kdx for my next bike. im just not sure wether i should get the newer 95 chassis or the 89-94. What are the major differnces. I am 5'10 160lbs. I have been riding for about five years and am looking for a good reliable bike that i can ride comfortably all day, but will be competitive should i decide to do some races. I am on a budget, so i am going to go for the older version unless there is a great advantage to the newer version. I am stepping up from a 1982 honda XL 185, so really, anything is a huge step up.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
The '95 and newer version (H) is still in production. You'll be able to get parts, and hop up mods hopefully for many years to come. Probably for many years after the parts for the earlier years are NLA.

FeelinFordy

Feb 13, 2005
I faced the same delima and found this is a "grand decision". What I mean by that is if you are going to invest more than a grand ($1000.00) on bike and mods then get the newer bike. If less, get the older version and spend a little money on modifications. Either way, buy the best maintained you can afford. Example if a bike needs tires, versus one that does not, you are looking at $120.00 added to the purchase price. Just my .02.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I would go 95+ the older models are great bikes, but you should be able to find a 95 or newer bike for a great price. If I were to do it all over again I'd get me a 95 or newer, as cheap as possible, and go full tilt on the after market parts. Instead, I took my '03 and went full tilt....

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
Here's a vote for the older bike althought to be fair I've never ridden a newer one. You could probably get a pristine 89-94 bike really cheap......they just don't go for that much money. My bike just keeps on amazing me year after year. I bought a stock bike in great shape, added a Pro Circuit pipe, 12 tooth front sproket, and Dunlop 756 tires, and I've had to do virtually nothing to it. I would like to get some heavier front springs though. I just went for my first ride of the year, didn't have time to do anything except check fluids, and it performed flawlessly. It keeps going, and going, and going. :cool:

jon08

Apr 17, 2005
I realy dont want to spend more than $1500. I just dont know if there were any major changes to the newer model. I am just lokking for a good reliable trail bike. I dont plan on doing more than an exahst and maby reeds. I am not planning on modding it out. Are there any major differences in the suspension and the way the two modles handle?

CTurbo

Oct 30, 2001
The older model is lower and longer, making it better for the tight stuff. Finding a good sample will be difficult. Here in Puerto Rico mountains and Rain Forest, it is like cheating to the guys riding new bikes :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom