89 KIPS NO punch mark on valves!

KDXMOSES

Mar 22, 2006
When I ride my KDX in a higher gear lugging around, I can hear that the power valve is just flopping around inside the cylinder. I must have installed the valves incorrectly. The manual says to align the tick or punch marks on the gear heads certain ways. Only my idler gear has the tick mark. How can I align the other two valves correctly without having the punch marks? When the sahft is pulled open, should both valves be open or closed? THANKS

Also, the shaft which operates the valves seems to be able to move up and down, only a few centimeters. Is is suppose to move at all? The small phillips head screw holds the shaft in place?

THANKS

paab

Aug 31, 2006
sounds like your actuating shaft is broken. A common error is to loosen/tighten the nut on top without supporting the shaft with visegrips or something...

I just replaced my kips on my 91. valves should be open when the shaft is pulled open, but I don't know how you will determine which tooth to engage without the marks. I guess trial and error moving the shaft from closed to open and watching the valves...

KDX200fromAUS

Jul 26, 2006
Have you cleaned them sufficiently, removed all carbon to see if there really is no marks, when cleaned with thinners, or any spirits they will come up shiny as new, then you should see marks, if there are any......but if not then trial and error is the go, it is tricky but it can be done..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom