'90 model handlebar advice

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
I bought my bike with Renthal bars already on it, but they seem to have too low of a bend and it feels like I have to lean over too much when standing. I'm somewhat of an old wuss rider, but have been doing primarily MX with the bike and am steadily catching more air. A recent endo has bent the bars so now I'm looking for advice on a better replacement. Some questions:

1.)Seems a lot of people on the board recommend the CR-high bends, are these different/better than KX-high bends?

2.)Will reversing the bar clamps on a '90 model move the bars forward more?

3.)Any opinions on using cheap steel bars? Since I've managed to ruin a set of high dollar bars already I'm thinking why not just buy steels since I could bend four sets of them for the price of new Renthals.

Any advice would be appreciated since I'm relatively clueless on what to look for, I only know that what I have now feels too low and I want whatever is best for aiding control in the air and/or while standing.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I just picked up a Pro Taper bar mount kit for my bike. They make the kit for all kinds of bike's, even old one's like ours :) I got some Pro Taper's off Ebay for a killer deal and they are great. I'm running the Pastrana bend, I'm 6'3 and I hate the feeling of falling over the bars when I'm standing up. With my old stock bars I had them rolled way to far forward and my wrists would kill after a day of riding. I'd look into a clamp kit, thats probably your best bet. You could also look into the Tag T2 bars, the CR Double Hi's, they are the highest bar on the market. Something like 830/115/65 a little to much pullback for me, but not to bad. Check out www.rockymountainmc.com or www.denniskirk.com They should have the kits you are looking for.

Good Luck :)

Bill

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Unfortunately the 1990 KDX200 had solid bar mounts so you can't reverse them so give some more room. I expect you could install the upper triple clamp off a 95-02 KDX200/220 to more the bars forward and up. The upper triple clamp on your bike pushing the bars down and towards the rider way too much to be comfortable. If you are interested in swapping triple clamps let me know. I have both an 89 and 98 KDX in my garage and I'll measure both up to insure they will swap over. I expect Fredette Racing Products would have a used upper triple clamp.

David

daveEX

Feb 11, 2000
c'dave please measure, or better yet, dont those steering stem bearings need some fresh grease?;) i have a 91 and hate the stock setup. it would be nice to have more adjustability other than cr highs. i like the bend but they are still way too far back because of the clamps. id definately spend the money if it will work.

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
Thanks C'Dave, if you could measure them and let me/us know, that'd be great.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…