92 KDX 200 pre-purchase inspection

rryder1992

Aug 1, 2002
Hello, This seems like a great site to share information on the KDX. Im currently looking to buy a 92 KDX200 as 2nd bike for my 15 year old. Out grew his 86 DS80. First look, bike seems to start and run ok. Good compression. Problem is loose spokes on rear wheel hub.None broken or pulled through but the spokes have been loose for ??? Plastic fair but headlight has been removed (if it originally came with headlight?) Brakes work, needs back tire, sprockets fair, no radiator leak.
The owner claims he is the second owner and wants 900.00us Does anyone know of any other aeras on the bike to look closer at before I make a decision . Thanks for any comment you may have

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
First thing on any used dirt bike is to expect to buy new front and rear wheel bearings. Most likely the headstem bearings are neglected and will need to be replaced also.

now the rear end, check the lower shock bushing! If there is any play, the unitrak arm there is about $100 then add about $170 for the rest of the rear end bearings you will need. As most likely if one is bad, all are bad. So have someone lift the bike off the ground as you inspect all the bearing points in the linkage. Also check the swingarm for side to side play.

Other than that, expect to maybe do a top end build here in a few months of riding if the top end is still good. you may also need to do a clutch job, reeds, forks and some cables may need replaced.

Last sticky thing about MX front and rear calipers, see if the pins are stuck in them. If they are, check the pads. If the pins get stuck, some people do not replace the pads and thus chew rotors and other parts.

Hope that helps a little

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
Just checking the basics is usually good... the bearings like Matt90 said are a common problem (though easy and cheap to replace). If the air filter doesn't look to be in good shape i would be concerned that the owner didn't take very good care of the bike, and from the sound of things it needs a little tender loving care . . . but if the engine revs clean, the bike rides smooth, and looks to be in decent shape than most likely it is. . .. haggle over the price a little and have fun

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
dont forget to look under the flywheel cover!Maybe you could find some two stroke oil there.If yes i suggest you to beware of this problem.

rryder1992

Aug 1, 2002
Thanks for all the great tips.I will have another look at that bike soon.Were in no real hurry.There seems to be an abundant supply of the KDX model.On another note I checked the price of new spokes and WOW!!! Kawasaki is proud of them (over $200 for a set of rear spokes) Asked my parts guru to check for aftermarket, no luck. JasonWho? If my son and I can get 2 bikes up and running Perhaps we could get together and ride on some 400 acres Just down the road from Ohachee Dam if you are interested. Thanks again for the tips RRyder1992

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Eric Gorr's book has a comprehensive list of things to check on a used bike. You can probably find a copy at your local Barnes and Noble.

When I bought my '90 (back in '93) I got a great deal because it had a missing spoke, bad rear wheel bearing and the brakes had air in the system. My Kawi dealer had spare spokes in a bin and just gave me one! I paid the dealer to press out the bad rear wheel bearing (could not drive it out after hours of trying), and changed the brake fluid.

Swing arm bearings, linkage bearings and shock bearings are all likely to be worn on a 10 + year old bike. Make sure the odometer works - some KDX owners will misalign the drive when putting the front wheel back on.

If the owner has never changed the brake fluid, plan on doing that right away. Kawasaki fish oil = bad. Motul 600 brake fluid = good stuff.

rryder1992

Aug 1, 2002
Passed on the 1992 and found a near perfect 1995 200 for a few
dollars more. Still might go back to the 92 but price must be less
for the amount of work the bike needs.The 95 currently needs nothing
but gas and routine maint.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Hey guys I'm from the Birmingham area, Hoover actually. Hey rryder how much is the guy asking for the '95 model? I am still looking for a KDX, I found one today, hopefully not the same one you found. The one Im gonna check out has new plastics and a fresh rebuild so hopefully it will be a good bike. The guy wants $1200 for it.

If I get one us Alabama guys need to meet up.

Later,
Joey

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Well, I would take any year after around 93 or so as long as its around $1800 or less. You want to sell your 94? Hopefully I can get one before I start my freshman year of college (Aug. 26th). I got the money I just got to find a bike. Ive called about that 95 today but the guy must not be home yet. Btw I drive up near Gadsen once in a while to go to the drag strip in Steele. We ought to meet out there sometime if youre into that kind of racing.

Later man,
Joey

PS if you know anyone with a KDX for sale let me know man.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I dont know, I dont have a bike yet but hopefully soon I will. Where do you all ride around here?

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Im not really looking for just a KDX. I wouldnt mind having any of Japans MX bikes as long as its in good shape. I can mod it for my kind of riding, fast trails. Id just put flywheel weight, bark busters, gear it down, and although this isnt a mod proper jetting. I just need something to ride and have fun on. When I get farther into college and save more money then I will be interested in buying a new bike. Actually I may be getting a job making alot more than I make now and get more hours in so I may be able to put my $1500 down on a new bike. Im just gonna have to wait it out a little bit and see what happens. Winter might be a good time to buy a bike anyway for a good price.

Thanks,
Joey

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom