trs

Dec 3, 2002
can anyone tell me how the front forks on this bike come apart? I havent received my manual yet and would like to change my fork oil before my next ride. The bike has inverted forks. I removed the caps and the caps are attached to the springs. Also, the allen nut at the bottom doesnt seem to be coming off, it just turns. thanks trs

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You will have to remove the forks from the bike.

Then open the TOP of the forks! Takes a 30mm socket. From there, you will need a 17mm thin open end wrench to remove the cap from the fork rod. Then remove the springs and drain the units. Be sure to pump the rod to get the oil out from there.

You can now refill the forks with 2.5w-light 5w oil. Do not go any thicker! Compress the units completely, pump the rod to get the air removed from it and fill from 4-5" from the top. Then extend the units, grab the rod and reinstall the spring. Screw the cap back onto the rod, just a drop of blue locktite is a good idea there.

Here is a more pictured link:

http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/mcycle/kayabafork/kybfrk.html

Let me know if you want more setup tips. I just swapped my old units for some KX units (more adjustment, larger valving). I had the old ones setup as good as they get. I still have the old springs that I used, a .38KG progressive rate if you are interested.

Top Bottom