'95 KTM 300 M/XC Powervalve Settings

magnum440

Apr 15, 2001
I need some help. I recently purchaced a '95 KTM 300 M/XC. The bike will not clear out in upper rpm range. I have tried various carb settings from main jets to needle adjustments. It feels like power valve problems. A dealer in FL told me that the side valves were supposed to be closed when the main valve is all the way open and a dealer on the west coast told me that they were supposed to be open when the main valve is open all the way. I can't find a proper manual, all I have is parts manuals and some kind of '97 suppliment manual that tells you what the Z measurement is. I really would like to know what the right way to set the power valve is if any body knows. Also could it be the CDI box or maybe something else? any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Stacy

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
On my KTM 250 the exhaust valve subports were open at WOT, along with the flapper.
I remember there being punch marks lining up the rach and pinion timings.
Just line up the punch marks...
Also I just got a 2000 200 MXC that blubbered really bad and the float level was wrong.
Keihin has a website that will show you how to set the float height.
I never had a bike so sensitive to the float height before...

magnum440

Apr 15, 2001
Thanks for the info, but my ratchet and pinion don't have any punch marks on them. That would be way to easy. I had a dealer fax me a page with the photos on it, but typical fax photos, they can't be made out. I would like to find someone who has amanual and a scanner. The dealer that faxed me the page ordered me a manual, but it will be Memorial Day weekend before I can pick it up. Thanks, Stacy

Top Bottom