plpwheeler

Apr 6, 2004
Hello, I've had a my '96 KDX-200 for almost 2 years now and here's the specs. FMF torque pipe, Fredette port and polish, 155 main jet, 45 pilot & stock needle center position. I run Klotz pre-mix at 50-1 ratio. The bike runs well, AWESOME down low but I've noticed that it really smokes quite a bit at wide open throttle. I've done a ton of reading on THIS cool site and understand some of it, but I'm just too damn lazy to do loads of hit and miss tests with brand new plugs here and there. I was hoping someone could enlighten me. My guess would be either I need to lower my pre-mix to a 42-1 or lower mix, or maybe a smaller main jet. Thats MY guess, now lets hear it from the pro's!!!

Thanks in advance, Patrick...

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I would not drop the mainjet just because of smoke, you really should do a plug chop to be sure. There are other things that can make your bike smoke like a leaky crank seal or silencer packing that is very old and saturated with premix.

If your plugchop shows a rich condition then you are correct. Either dropping the main or adding more oil to your premix will lean your jetting. The main will only effect WOT but the oil will lean you across the board.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom